0.01 - Pilot

Insomnia. The state of sleep loss. No matter how much you desire dreamland, it refuses you entry. You stand at the gates, whining, crying, but you're stuck in the world of buzzing activity.

Narcolepsy. A disease where the affected subject can't mind their own damn business and insists upon being a narc 24/7 365 days a year. It is not contagious, but almost certainly fatal upon diagnosis. Be aware of these narcs because they will screw you over.

Sleep Apnea. When your breathing goes batshit insane when you sleep, causing you to wake up multiple times. Sometimes the patient stops breathing for extended periods of time, which can be fairly dangerous, seeing as you kind of need air.

Cataplexy. The condition of having seizures whenever the person experiences a certain amount of an emotion. This is commonly related to Narcolepsy and Sleep Apnea.

Yeah, you see those? I'm 99.98% sure I suffer from at least one of those sleep disorders. I go to school everyday with bags under my eyes. No, not Gucci and Michael Kors bags, the black and ugly ones that sag under your eyes.

I have to go to bed at 8 every night just to be given at least an hour or two of promised sleep. Every other hour of the inky night, I'm up, staring at the ceiling or contemplating what I would dream about if I did dream.

Did you know the average person is said to have dreamt at least 6 hours of their life away? Well mine will surely be less, but I'd rather be dreaming then staying up doing practically nothing.

So here I am, half awake in Math, listening to my teacher ramble on about the quadratic equation that we were all supposed to miraculously remember after years of not doing any algebra. If I wasn't about to pass out here with a big drool puddle under my chin, then I sure as hell was not going to be attempting this math.

Luckily though the bell rang, and I'm telling you every single bitch in this classroom got up and sprinted to the door and was out of here in a matter of seconds. I, on the other hand, casually slugged my way out. Thus not seeing the body right in front of the door, to which I bumped into. Unfortunately.

"Oof! Sorry, er," I looked up, only to see an unfamiliar face.

The boy looked down at me and shook his head. The silent way to tell anyone that it's okay and no one gives a fuck if you apologize or not. I rolled my eyes and started to walk to my locker to grab the last bit of things I'd need to end my day.

"Hey Lilly," a rather familiar voice said behind me.

I forced a small smile and stood, slinging my backpack over my shoulder. "Hey J."

James, the senior who literally was my rock since Freshman year of high school helping me through this damnation of learning, casually leaned against my locker with a smile. "Ready to go to Teen Living?" He asked me.

"Ready as I'll ever be."

We walked together down the hall. Side by side, without touching each other. James was my best friend, nothing more, nothing less.

"So should I be warned if the Atlantic Ocean is present in your homework?" He asked with a teasing smile.

"Try the Pacific," I commented back.

"Wow, that bad?"

"You have no idea."

We casually walked down the halls, manuring past any speedos we saw. And eventually, we got there. Mrs.Gibson stood there with a smile, her rosy round cheeks showed off some small dimples. "Welcome to class Lillian! James!"

I sighed softly. "Lilly, please call my Lilly Mrs.G," I gave her a tired smile. Not only was I tired of hearing her call me Lillian every day, but it was this class and math I normally get some Z's in.

She nodded like she did everyday and ushered us stragglers into the classroom. "Today you will be getting into groups of two. With these partners, you shall take a baby doll of your choice to care for. Now mind you, this doll will act as a real baby, it's job to capture your attention. There is a voice box, for when it cries..." She continued on about the different parts of the baby doll and I couldn't help but tune her voice out.

I can't wait till I get home. I won't even start my homework. Fuck homework, I need to sleep. Maybe if I start to go to bed earlier then I'll sleep more. I'm always tired right after school, so why not sleep then? No one would mind right? I'll do my homework after dinner, I'll be awake and full then. I'll have already tested a bit. But wait, if I sleep now would that mean I wouldn't be able to sleep when it's actually time to go to bed? But what if I-

"Lillian Maxwell if I have to say your name one more time I will send you to the office!" Mrs.Gibson's stern voice broke my train of thought and I snapped my head up, looking at her.

"Huh?" I reply, quite unintelligently. I swear, everyone in this school thinks I'm probably an idiot. But I can be fucking Einstein when I want to.

"Please wipe the drool off your chin and listen. Your partner for the project is Ryder." I mentally groan as I wipe the dry drool off my chin. What the hell? I wasn't even sleeping!

This bell ended quicker then I imagined. All we ended up doing was talking with our partner to get to know our 'spouse'. Ryder actually wants to study to become a doctor who deals with psychological aspects of humans. He caught my interest, but I think I bored him with my simple rant of why I want to become a painter.

"You're actually not that bad Lily," he said with a smile. "I honestly thought you'd be kind of a total bitch."

Wow. Okay. Wait you know what? No. This is just not okay. You've now made me perpetually fearful of ever meeting anyone new because I'll have to overcompensate and be mega-smiley and happy which I'm then worried will come across as insincere. It's also exhausting.

You've basically just made me about a thousand times more insecure and paranoid about my chronic bitchy resting face than I already was.

But I smiled. And shook my head. Baring my fangs at him when my lips parted. "Nope. Not a bitch at all..." I muttered.

Once the bell rang I caught up with James and bolted out of that classroom, thankful for the day to be nearly over.

"I hate life," I muttered sourly. "It's like buying a pack of Mike and Ike's and seeing you got all of the yellow ones." Which, in fact were my least favorite.

"Oh cheer up. You haven't finished your life yet, it's gonna get better."

Get better my ass. I sighed and shrugged a bit towards him as we walked to our next bell quietly. Peoples voices drained out of my ears and all I heard was the faint sound of my boots clinking against the tile floor. It was like this for the rest of the day, from what I could remember.

~

New story! Tell me what you liked please. I know nothing interesting has happened yet, but that won't happen for another chapter or so. By the way the picture to the side is Lilly!

Comment
Vote
And subscribe to me!!

~ Mercay