0.27 - Leaving

"Well are you ready to leave today Miss.Maxwell?" Dr.Francis clapped her hands together with a bright smile.

I groaned and rubbed my eyes. I hadn't gotten any sleep last night but even so the bright lights being turned on all of a sudden definitely made me grumpy.

"I guess.." I mumbled. I yawned and rubbed my eyes before sitting up in the bed. I had barely been able to walk and the sheer fact that I could get up and stretch my legs made me happy. The doctors were fearful I would try to escape and leave the hospital to go see Thomas, that for my time being here after a certain hour the doors would be locked on me.

"Great! I have a set of clothes ready for you. Hurry up because when you're done you need to eat and then we're leaving." She smiled and bid me goodbye before closing the door behind her.

I looked at the clothes she set out and sighed, rubbing my eyes a bit more. No matter how much I tried to rub the sleep out of them they were still heavy and droopy.

She had given me a pair of jeans and a flowy yellow tank top. The tank top had a ruffled flower design on the top left breast, and had a few open cuts and intricate sewing designs to it. Both that and the light grey jeans were so soft that it made my skin tingle in excitement.

I was so ready to get out of this hospital gown.

So ready.

I quickly changed and ran my fingers through my wavy hair. It was a bit frizzy and awkward, but I made it work despite having a real mirror or shower.

Dr.Francis knocked on the door and peeked in. "Oh you look lovely! I've brought you some flats to wear so slide them on and we can get going." I nodded a bit and sit then on. They fit perfectly and matched the outfit quite well.

I followed her out and walked down the halls. People were coughing and were either in wheel chairs or crutches walking down the halls. Most parents weren't allowed to leave their beds, like me, but they had a few exceptions to that rule apparently.

Dr.Francis led me to a small cafeteria where I grabbed some food.

It was the same type of food I was generally given for breakfast, nothing special or amazing.

"So why am I leaving all of a sudden?" I asked. "And why isn't my mom here to pick me up?"

"I've arranged for you to go home with me. I'm kinda like your guardian here and so ill be taking you out of here." She smiled but something felt wrong.

"But why if I'm just going home?"

She shrugged and bit into her Apple to avoid answering my question. "Hurry up," she said. "The cars should be arriving any second."

I frowned and quickly finished off my meal. It wasn't a lot, just rice crisps with a side of strawberries and milk.

I stood up and straightened out my shirt and smoothed down my hair before following Dr.Francis out of the big double doors.

It was a dull day, not a lot of sun but still a nice blue sky. Dr.Francis lead me all the way to a big black car, probably like a mini limo. "Oh, fancy." I said, slight sarcasm laced in my voice.

Ah, sarcasm. How I've missed it.

"Oh don't be crude. I required the best for your departure." She said and opened the door. I slid inside and buckled up. Wow, the inside was even fancier than the out.

"And why is that?" I asked.

She slid in beside me and just smiled. Well then.

The car started up and the driver bid is a good morning from his seat before heading towards our destination. The roads were unfamiliar, but all I could really imagine was surprising my mom and my brothers with my arrival home.