0.36 - Recovery

"So how have you been?"

"I don't know. I mean I've lost track of time while I'm in this hell hole."

"Very funny Miss.Maxwell."

"Sue me Dr.Francis."

It had been like this for ten minutes now. I was on my period and I was tired. The last thing I wanted was to be pestered with annoying questions.

"So let's try this again," she said with a side. He glasses hung low on her nose and I could tell she was getting tired of this as well. "You're sleeping perfectly fine. Better than you've been sleeping in years." She looked through her files before carefully sliding those in a small folder.

"Yeah so?" I asked, growing annoying.

"Meaning if you kept his up then you can go home."

I nearly jumped out of my seat in excitement and my eyes widened. "Really?" I asked.

She nodded and pushed her glasses up a bit. "I don't joke around quite often Lilly. It's been three months believe it or not. You've been doing exceptionally well."

Oh. Three months? It's been that long?

"Now let's talk about how you've been feeling."

"Ugh... please not this again." I pouted a bit and rubbed my eyes. "I'm too tired to do this."

She laughed a bit and finally sat back and seemed to relax a bit as well. "You do this every week Lilly. I think I'm immune to your whining."

I grinned a bit and shrugged. "Touché."

You see, over these past three months apparently, Dr.Francis and I warmed up to each other fairly well. We didn't talk about Thomas a lot, and the more I was here, the more he seemed like a distant memory.

"But I've been fine. I like all my friends here and things are fine. No school, no stress." I shrugged softly and crossed my legs.

"That's good. What do you plan on doing when you get out of here?"

I shrugged again and looked at my hands. I honestly hadn't thought of it much. I mean I had everything I needed here. My mom wasn't nagging me and I didn't have stress from school and boys. People didn't judge me here. I don't even think I want to leave.

But I do. I do want to leave because I know deep down I don't belong here.

"Well?" Dr.Francis pulled me out of my thoughts and I finally was able to answer her.

"Sorry, but um, I haven't thought of it much." I admitted. "My mind is kinda set on this place."

"And getting better I presume?"

I paused and smiled a little. "Yeah, I guess you could say that."

-

Later that day I walked into something I didn't want to see.

"No! Stop! Michael let me go!" I stood at the doorway of the teen section and watched as Michael held Loraine in his arms, holding her down as people parted away and kept close to the walls. Loraine was crying and her body trembled. She looked even smaller and thinner in his arms despite both of them being so thin to begin with.

"Loraine stop!" It wasn't his voice I heard, but the twins. "You don't have to go in there! We promise you don't have to!"

I frowned and watched the scene unfold. George was cupping her cheeks and telling her something as Michael held her close and rested his head against hers. He whispered something into her ear and I could tell whatever he said not only hurt Loraine, but soothed her.

And then I noticed the men dressed in white.

They looked like doctors and had masks covering their faces. Michael sat down with Loraine in his lap, none of them must have noticed everyone else's petrified looks. Michael rocked them and Loraine continued to bawl and cry in his lap, shaking her head as she desperately tried to escape.

The twins held her hands and let her squeeze them as tight as she could. I could tell simply by how her knuckled began to turn white from how night her hand was holding theirs.

The two men in white neared her and she screamed in horror. One immediately began to usher the other kids out and soon the room was empty. "No, in her friend, I can help," I told him when he tried to get me out as well.

He was about to interject but when her blood curdling scream was heard he sighed and let me go in.

"What's wrong? What're they going to do?"

"Stop talking and just try to calm her down would you?!" George snapped at me, his eyes wide and scared. I'm not going to lie, but I was scared to see him in such an uneasy state. I nodded however and brushed Loraine's hair out of her face. Her bangs were stuck to her sweaty forehead and strands of hair stuck to her tear stained cheeks.

"Hey, hey look at me okay?" I told her, watching as her eyes landed on mine. She shook her head and began to cry harder.

"They're going to hurt me! Please Lilly please help me-"

She gasped suddenly and screamed even louder. I looked down and noticed them carefully injecting a needle into her arm. They slowly emptied out a clear liquid into her arm and Loraine started with her mouth agape and in stunned silence. When they pulled the needle out, they put a band aid over the small area and sighed.

The men began packing up and Loraine clutched her arm in so much pain that just looking at her made my heart ache.

She circled up into Michael and he held her close, rocking her and holding her against him as he whispered into her ear.

George and Jordan sighed and sat back, rubbing their eyes and looking down. "They do it every time... we tried to do it when you were in therapy but they were running late."

George nodded in agreement to what his twin said and looked up at me. "Every 30 days if Loraine hasn't shown any progress they give her that stuff.. it makes her act all funny... she wasn't always so hyper and happy you know." George shook his head and bit his lip.

The room grew quiet and I looked at Loraine sadly.

I never knew this happened... and the fact that it happened every 30 days without me knowing made me sick to my stomach.

-

Yikes. How's about that for a little excitement?

Vote and comment what you thought about the chapter!

Lots of love,

Mercay