0.10 - Ticker

I awoke with a gasp as little beads of sweat poured down my face. "The hell...?" I murmured and wiped it away hastily. My watch was beeping erratically. No wonder I woke up. My heart rate was faster then usual, faster then before. My breaths came in short, quick pants and my chest started to ache a bit. What was wrong with me?

I turned off the damn alarm and got out of bed. Cordelia purred and nuzzled against my legs as she had literally jumped out of no where. Recently the little white cat has been more affectionate towards me and my brothers, though she doesn't seem to like my mom. Maybe it's because she refuses to help care for the cat.

I yawned and started to head down stairs quietly, making sure I wouldn't wake my family. I quickly patted across the floor into the kitchen and started to make myself some coffee. It always calmed me.

I sighed and took a tentative sip of the burning liquid. My watch started to pick up a bit more. Tick... Tick... Tick... Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick! Tick! Tick! TICK! TICK! TICK! I started to panic and my fingers shook as I set the cup down and tried to turn my watch off. What was happening? Why am I still sweating?!

I gasped softly, taking in more air as I took off my watch and tossed it aside. I'm done listening to it beep. I grabbed the coffee and walked to the library room, walking around and taking sips as I paced around the small area. I soon sat back down in the chair I sat in when Thomas played for me. Speaking of him, what time is it?

I glanced at a small clock and read the time. 1:39. No, now 1:40.

Tick... Tick... Tick... Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick! Tick! Tick! TICK! TICK! TICK!

The ticking continued despite my liking. It was from a small Chinese cat, whose arm would bob back and fourth over and over again. Why did it seem to go faster? Why didn't it have a steady pace? Hey... wasn't that little thing in the kitchen? What is it doing here?

If Thomas were to come, he'd be late. I woke up late, didn't I? Was he here earlier? Damn it, why didn't he wake me?! I don't like admitting this, but I wish I could just let the rest of the world flood through one ear and out the other; and only take in the soft tune of Thomas playing on the piano.

I wish he could wrap me up in his arms like James would. I wish he'd stroke my hair and whisper that everything will work out in the end, even if it wasn't. I wish I wasn't alone anymore!

My breathing started to pick up and a small whine left my lips. The ticking was back, except this time it was from the smaller clock and not my watch.

Tick... Tick... Tick... Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick! Tick! Tick! TICK! TICK! TICK!

Dammit stop! It was like it was taunting me to come over there and rip it to shreds! Somewhere between all the ticking noises, my cup had slipped past my fingers and shattered on the ground. The coffee was everywhere and I started to panic. What if my family heard? What if they woke up!?

They probably didn't though... they never wake up when Thomas and I hang out. So why would they wake up now?

My mind is buzzing erratically and I didn't even notice the ceramic coffee mug fell right on my feet. How the hell did I not notice that?! Hot tears started to run down my face and my eyes burned from the mascara I forgot to take off.

"M-Mum.... Mum!" I screamed and cried. My chest was aching so much and no matter how deeply I breathed in, no air would seem to come in my lungs. I started to get dizzy, and my vision started to blur.

"M-M-Mum..." I breathed out, my eyes starting to flutter. I don't know what was worse: the smell of blood filling my nostrils or the fact I can hardly breathe. An image of my mom shouting my name and coming down flashed through my brain. Was that really happening? Or was it just my imagination?

I didn't stay awake long enough to tell, as my eyes closed and I passed out.

~

Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep! Beep! Beep! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

I gasped and woke up, looking around. Where the hell was I? What time was it? Where did the beeping noise come from?

My eyes adjusted to the bright light and I looked around. I was in the hospital. I groaned and sat up as my eyes darted across the sickly looking room. I hated hospitals.

A nurse walked in, humming a soft tune. She apparently wasn't aware I was supposed to be up, because when she saw me she paled and walked right out. That bitch! I'm starving here!

A few minutes later a doctr stepped in. He looked to be in his 50's with greasy hair plastered to his head. "Miss.Maxwell!" He said and smiled. "Lovely to see you awake. How are you feeling?"

"Fine."

"Any pains?"

"No."

"Good. Your mother brought you in just in time from your accident. The chances of you getting infected are very slim. You have some minor cuts and some had to get stitched up. We're confident we got all the glass out and make sure you check up on it every few hours and change the wrap." He said and flipped through his pages.

I gawked at him for a moment. They weren't sure if I had all the glass out?! I mean yeah, the cup fell right on my foot, but cmon people!

"As for the other reason do you being here, we've tease ached your history and saw you have sleep apnea, or insomnia. You've gone several days without sleep, correct?" I nodded. "We'll keep up on your pills because they've been helping. Your heart rate though, that's a different story. How long has it been picking up like that?" I shrugged.

"A few days I suppose. Maybe a week ago it started." I wasn't really sure at all to be honest.

He nodded and jotted that down as he looked at me. "Your heart was beating at an unnatural pace, which ultimately is unhealthy. We have several different solutions to it but we'd like to see you back and get weekly check ups on that so we can fully diagnose you."

I groaned softly and rolled my eyes. The place already gives me creeps and they want me to come back?! I doubt that was happening. A hospital is literally a torture chamber that makes you all better in the end.

"After we run a few simple tests I'll call your mother in and you can leave." I nodded and fell into a deep silence, wishing I could just sit and drain everything out. Which, I had done most of it successfully. But here was that one annoying sound that filled my ears.

The soft sound that was what made this all happen.

Tick... Tick... Tick... Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick! Tick! Tick! TICK! TICK! TICK!

~

Finally updated~! I'm really proud of this chapter though there no Thomas ;-; poo. I also love my chapter title.

QOTC: Favorite coffee?

Don't forget to...
Vote!
Comment!
Subscribe!

~ Mercay