0.44 - New Years

"Ten minutes everyone! Ten minutes till 2017!" My mom was thrilled for the new year. She had just gotten a raise at her work for the New Years and she was more than excited to celebrate what else the upcoming year had to hold.

We all gathered around the TV, watching as the celebrities and News Anchors were talking about the New Years and what was to come.

James grinned down at me and kissed me chastely on the lips. "I get to kiss you for the New Years," he slurred, his eyes glazed over and a bit red.

I frowned and scrunched up my nose in disgust. "James have you been drinking?" I asked.

"Not just drinking little lady," he purred into my ear. It sent shivers down my spine, but not very good ones.

"Hey stop, babe," I smiled softly and pushed him away a bit. "I love you but this is a bit much. Never thought you would be into this kind of stuff."

He frowned and gave me a funny look. "Into this kind of stuff? C'mon Lil, a little bit of drugs never killed anyone."

I frowned and rolled my eyes. "Actually they have. Plenty of times."

He groaned and kissing my jaw, pulling me flush against his body. "C'mon baby... lets dance.." he kissed down my neck and I finally pushed him off completely.

"Go away James. Don't talk to me when you're like this."

I huffed and went to go grab something to drink. How the hell did he even get drugs?! This was a family thing. Both of our families were here and he was on God knows what kind of drug, probably drunk too.

"Hey, Lilly! It's about to happen!" One of my cousin's pulled me to the TV and handed me a cup of 12 grapes and champagne.

"Okay you guys! Remember the rules; for the last twelve seconds of 2016, eat a grape! For each grape you eat, it's a month of good luck in the New Years." My mom smile and once she explained what was going on, she sat back down between her sisters.

None of my relatives looked at me the same way since I've gone to the asylum. My cousin's were nicer, my aunts and uncles gave me a kind smile but didn't say anything more.

I was better now, but at the same time I can tell they still think I'm damaged.

I'm not.

I'm fine.

"One minute!" My mom held her glass tightly and I quickly downed my champagne. I sighed softly and smiled a bit before counting down the seconds.

James reappeared in the room and moved next to me. The tips of his hair was abbot wet and it looked like he had splashed water on his face.

"You okay?" I asked.

James nodded a bit. "Yeah... I'm sorry babe. I'm trying not to do anything dumb."

I smiled a little and nodded. "Okay you guys!" My mom announced. "Here we go!"

The last twelve seconds were coming up and everyone got their grapes ready. When the last twelve seconds came, everyone started to eat their grapes. Several people laughed and a few choked a bit on the grapes but nothing hat would need medical attention.

Like every year, I only got a good five or six grapes. Well looks like the New Year will be slightly decent.

When the clock struck midnight, everyone cheered and hugged one another. James pulled me into a hug and kissed me softly on the lips. It would have been a romantic gesture had his breath not wreaked of alcohol.

"Happy New Years Lil," he spurred softly with a loose grin and droopy eyes.

I sighed but smiled regardless. "Happy New Years love," I kissed his cheek and patted his shoulder before finishing the rest of my grapes. For the next few minutes I hugged and kissed several relatives ( on the cheeks, don't worry ) and watched as they all poured themselves another glass of champagne.