0.45 - Thomas

3 months later

. . .

I had slowly gotten back into a boring routine for school. And honestly? This New Years was even worse than the last.

It was James's last year in High School and he was already accepted into four of his top colleges. I, on the other hand, applied for several standard colleges and got into none. Not a single college wants a girl who missed half of her senior year, obviously.

My grades were getting worse and my sleeping habits went down the drain. It seemed like 2017 was cursed. I hadn't gotten any sleep, I was wide awake at night but tired as hell in the morning, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't hold a decent conversation with anyone anymore.

So now here I am, getting ready for another boring day of school.

"Lilly! James is here!" My mom called from down stairs.

"Shit.." I sighed and brushed my hair out before throwing on my jacket. "I'll be down in a sec!"

I looked at my face one last time and nodded. I didn't really do anything but coverup my dark circles and brighten my eyes. I don't exactly prefer a face full of makeup at school.

I grabbed my bags and headed down the stairs, grabbing my half eaten sub from last night before heading out the door.

"Bye mom!" I called out behind me.

I shut the door and headed to James's car. It was so toasty and warm when I got in, which really helped considering it was absolutely freezing this time of the year.

"Hello gorgeous," James said and kissed my cheek. "You look lovely today."

I smiled warily and leaned my head against the cold window. "Thanks James. I don't feel t though." I laughed softly and turned on the seat warmer as James pulled out of the drive way.

"Ready for this Physics test?" He asked. I frowned and rubbed my eyes. "Nope. Not at all. I completely forgot in all honesty."

James frowned a bit but kept his eyes on the road. "That sucks. If I sat next to you I'd let you cheat but..." he trailed off and sighed. Our teacher recently moved James away from me because we were caught cheating. Now because James has over an 100 in his class, he wasn't punished. And because it was unfair to punish both kids, I wasn't punished either. Despite me having a D in his class.

"Do you have your notes with you?" I asked. "Like, the answers off the study guide."

He nodded and gestured to the back. "Yeah just grab my binder. Why you gonna study?"

"No I'm gonna write the answers on my arms."

He rolled his eyes but chuckled regardless. "Whatever. Just know that if you get caught this time you're actually gonna get a detention or something."

I shrugged, not exactly caring. I wasn't going to college, half my grades were awful, so what's there to lose? After coming out of the asylum my mom kinda cut me some slack. I slept over at James's house on the weekends, ate when I wanted to, and slacked off in school.

Granted I still had A's and B's, but this grade was by far the worst.

Had this been sophomore or junior year, I would've been tutored and talked to and made sure the grade was back to an A.