0.3 «Emerson Samuels»

[edited]

Once the Dolan twins were out of the car, both of my brothers began staring at me.

"What?" I asked, a little bit annoyed.

"We're three houses down. Isn't that exciting?!" Evan says, making his voice very high pitched and flailing his arms around. Was he supposed to be imitating me?

"What's your point?" I grunt as I pull up into our driveway. I turn off the car, and all three of us climb out, grabbing our bags.

"Someone has a crush on Grayson!" Elliot squeals like a little girl as he unlocks the door to our house.

"Shut up! I don't like Grayson! I barely even know the guy, we're just partners in world history," I protest loudly.

"Emmy, honey, what's wrong?" I hear my mom call from the kitchen.

"Elliot and Evan are just being dickheads."

"Emerson Henry Samuels! You better watch your mouth, young lady!" she scolds me. I hear my brothers snicker behind me.

"Boys! Stop annoying your sister. She's right, you know, you are sometimes dickheads." I burst out laughing at my brothers' faces when my mom says this. They both have the same idiotic expression of disbelief.

"All three of you go upstairs and do your homework! Dinner will be ready in an hour!" she orders, and my brothers obey.

I go to the kitchen, and grab a pack of cookies. 

"Emerson!" my mum scolds, "We're about to have dinner once Dad gets home."

"Mum, I'm low, and very hungry," I whine.

"I forgot to ask you, honey, how have you been doing? Have you been keeping track of your insulin?"

"Mum, I've had diabetes all my life, I can handle it."

"I know, sweetie. I just want to make sure. Remember last time, you gave us quite a scare. Is the new monitor okay?" she rambles worriedly.

"Mum, it's okay. I change it every few days, don't worry," I assure her, lifting up my shirt to show her the glucose sensor, which is placed on my abdomen.

"And is everything going well in track. How did you feel today?" 

"A little dizzy, but nothing too terrible," I admit.

"Oh honey," she says, giving me a hug, "You're so strong and brave. I love you."

I roll my eyes, but wrap my arms around her, "I love you too, mum."

*  *  *  *

I wake up early the next morning and take a shower. I usually hated taking showers in the morning since my hair took forever to dry, but I didn't really have a choice. I had been too tired last night and had fallen asleep while watching a movie with my brothers.

After the painfully cold shower, clothes were next. I mostly owned jeans and shirts, but I had a few skirts and dresses in there for special occasions. Since a normal school was by no definition a worthy occasion, I grabbed black jean shorts and a purple shirt.

I brushed my tangled hair until it was smooth. I frown as I look at my blue streak, which was slowly turning green with every shower I took. Huh, that was disappointing. It took months of begging and pleading to get that. I pulled it into a high ponytail, and grabbed my backpack from my desk chair.

I looked in the mirror one more time. Okay, Emerson, stick to the plan. Stay low, don't talk to people, and overall just keep your head down. Especially around the Dolan twins. This project with Grayson would soon be over, and we could both get on with our lives. I hit myself lightly on the forehead a few times, telling myself to focus and not blow this.