0.49 «Grayson Dolan»

[edited]

judgement day

I didn't sleep at all that night. Emmy didn't want to either, but she dosed off involuntarily after a large dosage of pain meds. She had scooted over to one side of the bed, and I was lying next to her snoozing body, my hand clenched tightly around hers in a protective hold.

I feel her shiver, and lifted the blanket off of myself and put it over her.

I hear the door open, and the familiar face of the late-night nurse appeared, "Hello. Not getting any sleep, huh?"

I shook my head, "No. What time is it anyway?"

"6:45," she answers, writing down the information from the monitors on her clipboard.

I sure wouldn't be getting any sleep now. I got up and splashed some cold water on my face in the small bathroom sink.

"Anything I need to know for today?" I asked the young brunette.

"Not really. I'm sure you'll want to stay with her today. Dr. Jensen will be on alert all day. As soon as anything happens, you call him."

I nodded, "Thanks."

She approached me, and put a hand on my shoulder, "I'm so sorry."

"Me too," I brushed her off.

*  *  *  *

I laugh as Emmy and Elliot were in the middle of a mock fight over something stupid, just like they always did.

Mr. and Mrs. Samuels were in the corner, discussing payments of all the hospital bills, while Elliot, Ethan, and I all watched the hilarious debate.

"Pancakes are totally better than waffles, what the hell?!" Elliot exclaims.

"Are you dumb? Waffles will always be the superior breakfast food," Emmy argues.

"What about French toast?" Evan cuts in suddenly and excitedly.

"Shut up, Evan!" they say at the same time, causing Ethan and I to burst out laughing.

"Kids, we're going out to get some food. What do you all want?" Mrs. Samuels asks.

Emmy claimed she had no appetite, but the rest of us ordered food. 

I kissed Emmy on the lips slowly as I stood up, "I'll be right back. I love you"

She chuckles, "I love you too. And I'll be right here, Grayson, as soon as you get back, I promise."

And she was.

*  *  *  *

The time was now much later than the doctor had predicted. It was close to about 10:00 pm now. I was lying close to Emmy, threading my hands through her hair as her eyes fluttered open and close constantly.

Suddenly, a loud, annoying beep filled the room. The beep I had dreaded hearing ever since we had gotten here.

"Quick, someone get Dr. Jensen!"

I raced up and outside the glass door, and signaled to the doctor who was behind the large reception desk. He dashed into the room.

"She's flat-lining. I need a defibrillator, stat!" he shouted.

A nurse came in with the revival machine. She handed it to the doctor, who had been putting Emmy's bed back in its flat position. 

"Please, stay back," she says to us.