0.16.2 «Emerson Samuels»

[edited]

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was going to the state championships. Everyone was looking at me as I walked to the winners' circle.

I felt joyful inside. I had worked hard for this, and I had accomplished it. I saw Max with a huge grin on his face, giving me a big thumbs up.

I shook hands with the judges, and gave Max a tight hug. I had him to thank for helping me.

Three first-place medals were placed around my neck. One for the sprint, one for the run, and one for continuing onto to state.

We took pictures, and were congratulated by so many people as we walked out.

"THAT WAS SICK!" Max yells once we're back in the car.

I laugh, "That really was great."

Max began driving, and we were jamming to music when he stopped suddenly.

"Holy shit. Emmy, what time is it?"

I looked at my phone, "About 5:30 pm. Why?"

"I really wanted to take you out somewhere for your birthday, but I have to go out to dinner with my parents. And I'm already late," he groans, throwing his head back against the rest.

I put my hand on his shoulder, "Don't worry about it, Max. This was already an amazing day. Not to mention that incredible bracelet you gave me. Trust me, you've done more than enough."

He gives me a weak smile, "My dad's going to be pissed off, but it's okay. Do you want to drive around for a while? I know you still have some time to kill anyway."

"Max, you have dinner with your parents. Don't let them get all mad. Just drop me off at home," I protest.

"Fine, but I'm taking the long way," he says stubbornly.

I roll my eyes, but don't bother to argue.

"Emerson, did you feel dizzy or tired or anything today?"

"A little tired, especially after the sprint, but nothing new. It happens when I get nervous or excited."

"Ok, thank God."

We made small talk for the rest of the car ride, laughing and just having a good time. Max had now pulled up into my driveway, which still had lots of cars in it, making me frown.

"So, text you later?" he asks.

"Definitely. Thank you for the present and all of today," I say, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek.

I retrieved my gym bag and the gift bag from the backseat, and waved to Max one more time before ringing the doorbell.

My dad opened the door, looking tired and annoyed. Guess having a house full of teenage boys, even if just for a day, was exhausting.

"Emmy, you're back!" he exclaims, picking me up in his arms.

"Dad, put me down," I order, and he does as I say.

We walked into the living room, where my brothers and a few of their friends were still hanging out. I guess they hadn't left yet.

"Dad, I'm gonna go shower and change, and by that time they should be gone, right?" I ask.

"Yeah. Good plan, honey. Your mum should be back from her errand any minute now anyway."

I headed up into my room, taking off my sweaty track clothes and throwing them into the hamper. I showered quickly, blow-dried my hair, and got dressed. I was wearing a lavender knee-length dress, and put a thin headband of the same color in my hair. I top it off with the new bracelet Max gave me.