0.26 «Emerson Samuels»

[edited]

I changed into my track clothes Friday after school. Max and I had regular track practice, and then extra prep for state, for which the date had been finalized: March 24th.

"Samuels, let's go!" Coach hollers as I walked out of the locker room.

I ran up to where the rest of the team was, and stood by Max, who smiled at me.

"Alright, team. So, if you don't already know, we have two winners from the county meet. Let's give a hand for Max and Emerson."

The team clapped, "We wish them luck, and will help them train up until March."

We finished talking, and Coach ordered group to a different stations around the track, where we would work on different drills.

My group consisted of a boy named Chris, two girls - Grace and Ella, and then me.

We started out with warm-ups. Grace and Ella were some of the nicer girls on the team, so I was glad about that.

"Okay, guys. Ten push-up lunges," Chris commands.

We each extend a knee, hold the lunge position for five seconds, and then bring it back to our chests, jumping it into a push up. 

Grace was telling a funny story when we heard a yell come from Ella. She was lying on the ground, crying.

"Ella, what happened? What's wrong?"

"My....wrist. I think I sprained it," she winces as I attempt to hold it.

Chris yelled for Coach to come over, and I tried to keep Ella talking, "Can you feel it?"

She shakes her head, continuing to cry out in pain.

Coach arrives, and bends down to examine Ella's outstretched arm. By this point, the other runners have noticed that something is wrong, and are beginning to gather around.

"Honey, that wrist isn't sprained, it's broken."

Ella doesn't respond except by biting her lip and try to suppress her cries. 

Coach turns to Joey, one of the strongest boys on the team, "Can you take her to the nurse's office? We'll need an ambulance. Can you call her mom?" she then asks Grace, who is her best friend.

Joey runs off with Ella in his arms, and Grace to the locker rooms to retrieve her phone. 

"How about we end practice a little early?" Coach suggests, "It's already been very eventful, so you can all go home."

Max and I stay behind for our extra time, and Coach tells us to wait until she makes sure Ella's ok, then we'll continue.

Max and I sit down on the bench, and he tells me about how things were going with him and Sydney. 

"Ok, you two. How confident you feeling about taking state?"

We both shrugged, and Coach joked, "That's the spirit."

"Stand up and start stretching. We don't need any more injuries today."

While we were stretching, Coach came up to me, "Samuels, does Max know about your condition? Or is it best not to mention it?"

"No, he knows."

She nods, and claps her hands, "Right, then. Some rules that we're gonna follow up til March. One: train every day. Even if it's just a little stretching or some warm-ups, practice. Allow your body to increase its endurance levels. That one is especially important for you, Ms. Samuels, you need to allow your blood sugar levels to get used to this constant running."