0.7 «Emerson Samuels»

[edited]

I woke up on Sunday with a text from Max:

Max: You wanna hang out today?

Emmy: Sure. Where were you thinking?

Max: Cool. I'll pick you up at 1. It's a surprise ;)

Emmy: Ok.... 

Max and I had gotten closer, and had been constantly texting and talking. He was hilarious and really sweet. He told me he was class president, and an honor roll student. Not to mention he was also on the varsity track team, just like me. He was also quite popular at school. Basically, he was perfect.

I head downstairs, where Elliot and Evan are both in the kitchen, both shirtless and wearing only boxers. They were huddled around Elliot's laptop.

"Whatcha doing?" I chirped, skipping into the kitchen and grabbing the box of cereal from on top of the fridge, where I could barely reach. I swear, these cruel people I lived with didn't want me to have my nutritious breakfast. I mean, why else would they put the box so high?

"Talking to Mum and Dad," Evan answered, showing me the screen, which was open to FaceTime.

"Hey Mum! Hey Dad!" I said, waving to the camera.

"Hi, sweetheart! How are you doing?" they asked.

"I'm great," I answer, "Everything's going pretty well. How are Nan and Pops doing?"

"They're getting better. But the insurance is still holding up their claims, so we may be staying a little longer," Mum explains.

"Really? Aren't you guys supposed to come back in three days? Is that cancelled?" Elliot questions.

"No, honey, we won't be coming back. We're staying a little longer. Will you be okay?"

Elliot and Evan are grinning to each other. That can only mean one thing. They're definitely up to something. We say our goodbyes to Mum and Dad and hang up.

We sat down to breakfast. "What are you guys planning to do today?" I ask.

They shrug, "Maybe meet up with some friends. You staying home like every weekend?" Evan sneers.

"Actually, I'm meeting up with a friend of mine," I say matter-of-factly.

"Friend?!" Elliot gasps, "WHO?!"

"Haha," I fake laugh and roll my eyes, "Yes, I have a friend. His name's Max Harper, and he's very nice. He's coming at one."

"Max Harper? As in golden boy Max Harper? Track team star and teacher's pet?" Evan says, shocked.

"Yes. Is there a problem?"

"No, Emmy, it's just, you've never gone out with a friend, much less one that was boy," Elliot says quietly.

That was true. I was very quiet and liked to keep mostly to myself. I had a few people that I talked to during school, but no best friends or any of that stuff. I was picked on and bullied quite a lot, which was why I had been so excited to have a fresh start here.

"Yeah, but I trust Max. I'll call you guys if anything happens, okay?" I compromise.

They look at each other for a moment, as if they're having a whole conversation consisting of eye contact. They both nod, and give weak smiles. I could tell they were totally faking, but I ignored it. I knew they were concerned about my safety, but they didn't have to be, what could possibly happen?