0.39 «Evan Samuels»

[edited]

surprise! new point of view!

I hung up the phone with Grayson, a million thoughts running through my head.

I was scared sick for my sister. She'd been having an extremely difficult week, and I was worried that she almost wouldn't be able to handle it, just like the past time.

I knocked on her door, and she yelled at me to go away. She was furious, but I calmly sat down.

"Is this about what happened at the hospital?" I ask her why she's upset.

She nods, a sob escaping her lips. I mean, it's not like I could blame her. The kind of news we had been given, she was honestly handling it better than most people would.

I pushed a loose strand of her pin-straight hair behind her ear. It hurt me to see her like this. I would be the last person to admit it, but I really did love my sister. I just wanted to be able to help.

But that wasn't my job.

I was the goofball of a brother. The trouble-maker, or even better- the idiot. Elliot never seemed to do anything wrong in anyone's eyes, while I managed to screw up everything.

And the only person in the world who thought differently was Emmy.

I had confessed to her when we were younger how I struggled with finding purpose in life. How I was always in Elliot's proper-looking shadow.

And she had helped me. She had told me I was funnier, and how I looked at things in a different way, which was helpful at times.

And when I was struggling to pass year nine, she had been the one to stay up all night helping me study. Not because it would get her anything, or because our mum had forced her, but because she was kindhearted enough.

And though she'll never know this, but Emmy saved my life. She helped through my roughest, shittiest patch, and without her, things would be much different.

So when I looked into her helplessly sad eyes as she knelt down from crying so hard, I felt my stomach knot together in an unnatural way.

I had to do something.

I advised her, "Emmy, there's no easy to deliver news like that. But you have to tell him, and he'll react the way he does. It's not something you can control."

At this point, even I didn't know how Grayson would feel. This kind of news could make a person go mad. It wasn't unheard of.

She promised she would tell him sometime this weekend, and I ended the conversation at that. Me prying into things wouldn't do shit.

I walked out of her room after about another hour, and closed the door behind me. I was hesitant, but Emmy insisted that she didn't want Mum, Dad, or Elliot figuring out anything.

I faced her cream-colored door, agony running through me.

"Please, Emmy, I'm absolutely begging you, don't do anything you'll regret," I whisper silently.

No one in our family was particularly religious, but at this point, I needed to believe that someone up there was listening.

I needed to believe that someone would help us.

I needed hope.

~  ~  ~  ~

SONG OF THE CHAPTER: Don't You Worry Child

ARTIST: Swedish House Mafia