0.32 «Emerson Samuels»

[edited]

I woke up in unfamiliar surroundings, and panicked for a second.

I was in a bed, but it wasn't mine. The room I was in was painted a pale blue, and I saw people outside through the window, wearing doctor's coats and nurse's scrubs.

I was obviously in the hospital, but why?

"Hello?!" I lifted the thin sheets from on top of me, and swung my legs over the side. I suddenly felt exposed, and looked down to see myself wearing nothing but one of those skimpy hospital robes.

Well, shit.

I gingerly walked out the door in my bare feet, holding on to the wall for support.

I approached the desk nearby, "Excuse me, miss, I just woke up and I have no idea how I got here," I tell her.

She looks at me with a bored expression, "Please go back to your room and we'll call your doctor in right away," she says in a monotone voice.

"I don't think you understand, I don't remember anything."

She stops, "Do you remember your name?"

"Of course. My name is Emerson Samuels."

"I see here that you're in room 380. That's right over here. If you could just get back in there, I'm sure we'll get a doctor in there right away."

"But what about my family?"

"Look, little girl. You need to get back in your room and we'll have a doctor check up on you as soon as we can!" She says, annoyed.

"Listen here, lady! I just woke up in a hospital bed in nothing but a practically see-through robe and-"

"Emerson!" A voice from behind me calls.

I turn around before I can completely tell this old hag off. I see my Dad, looking defeated in the same clothes he was wearing yesterday, a cup of coffee in his hand.

He runs to me, and grabs me in his arms, "Rise and shine, darling."

I give one more scowl to the lady before walking with him back to the room, and resuming my lying-down position on the bed.

"Dad, what happened?" I ask him.

"Just a second, sweetie, I've got to call your mother and brothers, they need to know you're awake."

After he's done that, he finally sits down in front of me.

"Dad, how did I get in the hospital?" I ask once again.

"You really don't remember, Emmy?"

I shake my head.

He sighs, "It was at the state track meet yesterday. You had a diabetic seizure, sweetie. You fell into unconsciousness, and were taken here. This is the first time you've woken up since then," he explains.

"But why a seizure? I've never had one of those before," I say.

"I don't know. Can you tell me that, Emmy?" He eyes me.

I don't look at him, "My blood sugar was low, I guess. It happens when I run all the time," I shrug.

"Emmy..."

"Dad, I'm sorry, alright? I realized once the events began that I didn't have my kit with me. But I figured I'd be fine, I would be a little tired, sure, but I would survive."

"Emerson Henry Samuels! Do you have any idea how scared we were!?"

"Dad, I'm sorry," I apologize again.

"It's not me you should be apologizing too," he says quietly, and then sips his coffee.

"What?"

"My baby!" I hear a familiar screech. It's Mum. She hugs me tightly, kissing my forehead roughly.

"Oh my goodness, I was so scared I was gonna lose you!"

"Mum...," I whine, embarrassed at the show of affection.

"Not a peep from you, young lady. I was up all last night with worry!"

I didn't argue with her after that.

Next up were Elliot and Evan. They didn't look relieved like Dad, or joyous like Mum, they just looked sad.

"Emmy, why didn't you tell us? We had an extra kit, you idiot," Evan scolds.

They both give me a hug at the same time, "I'm sorry," I whisper to them, "It won't happen again."

"It better not."

After them was Ethan. He gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek, "Glad you're okay, Emmy."

"Thanks, Eth."

"Good luck," he mutters quietly.

"With what?" I ask, but he doesn't answer.

Unfortunately, I found out soon enough.

One person was missing. The person I probably wanted to see the most.

Grayson.

There he was. Standing in the doorway. He was wrapped in a winter jacket, and he took off his hat, not willing to make eye contact with me.

"We'll give you two some privacy," my mum says, dragging out Elliot, Evan, and Ethan quickly.

"Grayson..."

He finally looks up, and directly at me. I can see his eyes.

They're filled with a mix of emotions. Relief, sadness, joy, anger.

But one feeling is most prominent on his face compared to the rest.

Betrayal.

He knew. He knew that I had kept my diabetes a secret from him for almost six months, four of which we had been in a relationship during.

He sits down on the uncomfortable-looking chair next to my bed.

He takes off his coat, taking his time. He fingers his hair, then makes eye contact again.

He clears his throat.

Oh shit.

I sure had a lot of explaining to do.

~  ~  ~  ~

SONG OF THE CHAPTER: DJ Turn It Up

ARTIST: Yellow Claw