0.46 «Elliot and Evan Samuels»

[edited]

week five

ELLIOT

I walked downstairs on Wednesday afternoon, expecting to see Emmy already dressed for school and eating her breakfast.

Instead, I found Evan, which was quite a rare thing. Emmy was usually the first one down.

"Where have you been, bro?" He asked, "We're gonna be later, ya know."

"What do you mean?"

"It's 7:45. We gotta get going. Where's Emmy?"

I shrug, "Don't know, dude. Thought she'd be down here."

"Go check her room, then."

"Fine," I grumble.

I knock lightly at the door that stood at the very end of the hallway. Lately, it always seemed to be closed.

"Emmy? You almost done?" I call inside.

When I receive no answer, I begin to panic. If she wasn't in here, where else could she be?

I opened the door a crack, and saw my sister lying on the ground.

Millions of thoughts raced through my head as I rushed to the side of her body.

"Emmy, don't you dare go anywhere! You still have two weeks!" I cried, shaking her.

Her eyes fluttered open, "El? What?"

"Oh thank freaking God," I sighed.

I scooped her up, my arms under her armpits, and dragged her to the bed, where I gently put her down. It took almost no effort, almost as if she was weightless.

It wasn't my first time doing this. It had become more common where she would pass out randomly as the weeks went on.

"What's going on, Elliot?" She asked again, this time louder. It sounded like all her energy was going into simply speaking to me.

"Nothing, Em-Em," I lied, "How're you feeling right now?"

"Fatigued. My muscles are aching. Son of a bitch, what the hell happened?" She attempted to prop herself up on her pillow with her elbows, but she feel straight back down.

She really was getting much weaker. Much worse.

"You're going to need to stay home today," I told her, "No way I'm letting you go to school."

"Bullshit! I'm fine," she tried to get up once again- this time off the bed and into a standing position - but she collapsed downwards. Luckily, I was there to catch her.

I set her back in her place, and didn't try anything this time. "Ugh. I need to go, dammit."

"May I ask why, stubborn ass?"

She rolls her drowsy eyes, "Grayson. He'll get worried."

"Like he isn't already."

"The hell is that supposed to mean?" She shouted.

"Unlike you, Emmy. He's actually showing some emotion towards your death. Heck, I even saw the dude cry two weeks ago he was so sad," I cried, pointing a finger accusingly at her.

The guilt became evident across her face, and I immediately regretted saying what I just did.

I continued, this time my voice much quieter, "The point is, I'll be sure to tell him what's going on, and he'll understand. He'll probably even swing by after school."