0.38 «Emerson Samuels»

[edited]

I hear a knock on my closed bedroom door. "Go away!"

The door opens anyway, and just as I'm about to charge and close it, I see Evan's face in the doorway.

"Evan, please, not right now," I practically beg him.

He of course comes in, not resisting a chance to annoy me. "Evan! Leave!"

He sits on my bed, not saying a word. "EVAN! GO AWAY!" I shout at him. He doesn't even flinch.

"Emmy," he says very calmly, "I have to talk to you about something."

"AND I SAID NOT NOW!" I gesture out the door in an obvious way.

"It's about Grayson," he continues, unfazed, "He called and told me what happened. He wants to know you're okay."

"SINCE WHEN DO YOU CARE WHAT HAPPENS BETWEEN ME AND GRAYSON?!" I throw my arms up into the air in frustration. Why was Evan so concerned about this?

"Because he's my friend too! I care about the both of you!" He raises his voice for the first time since this conversation started.

I sigh, and sink to my knees, throwing my head into my hands.

I feel Evan's strong arms surround me in a tight hug. He rubbed on his hands down my back, and I dug my head into his shoulder.

And I let the tears spill out. I didn't like to cry in front of my brothers because they usually made fun of me, but I couldn't stop myself. Evan didn't say anything, and at the moment, I was so grateful for him. He was letting me get all my bottled-up emotions out.

"Is this about what happened at the hospital?"

I nod, sitting back up to look at him.

"Have you told Grayson?" He asks.

I shake my head, not willing to look at him.

"Why not, Emmy. He deserves to know," Evan says.

"But how do you tell someone something like that?" I argue, "Just throw that on them?"

Evan breaths, "Emmy, there's no easy to deliver news like that. But you have to tell him, and he'll react the way he does. It's not something you can control."

"But, Evan, I love him, I can't do that to him,"  I sob.

"I know you do, little sis. And it's because you love him that you have to tell him."

I sigh, "But how?" I repeat.

He's silent for a moment, "Be gentle. Say it slowly, and if he's in denial, you have to understand why."

I give Evan a hug, "What if he breaks up with me?" I say the thing I'm most scared of.

"Then that's his decision, and you have to respect that, as much as you'll hate it and it'll hurt," he says.

I stand up, pacing around the room in nervousness. "You were wrong to leave him like that, Emmy. You have no idea how terrified he sounded. He thought it was something he said," he tells me.

I manage to laugh through my tears, "That's Gray for you, always blaming himself."

"What were you two talking about anyway?"

"He was talking about us and what we would be next year. It was sad to think about," I explain.

He nods, "Emerson, I know I'm not usually good in these situations, so maybe you should talk to Elliot or-"

"No!" I shout, "Please don't leave me alone, Evan," I plead.

He looks at me, his eyes big. His whole face showed some much....concern? Evan, my dumbass, crazy, out-going, over the top, wild, popular with the ladies brother, was concerned about me? I then realized, he had always been this way, but just tried not to let that side show. How we always helped me whenever bullies attacked me in middle school, or how he still checked that I had my insulin kit with me every morning, while everyone else had given up on that. 

Evan cared about me the most. We had always been close in a special way, but of course he bonded with his identical twin more. 

He sat back down immediately, "Of course."

"Thanks for caring," I say.

He gives me a smile I had never seen him wear before. A genuine, all-the-way-to-the-eyes-smile. It was different from his usual smirk or cocky grin. It was nice, and it suited him better, making him look more mature, "Of course, Emmy. You're my little sister."

I give him another hug, and he whispers in my ear, "You'll tell him, won't you?"

I nod, "Just not today. I don't think I can face Grayson right now."

"Sometime this weekend?"

"Sure. I'll just have to figure something out."

~  ~  ~  ~

SONG OF THE CHAPTER: Thnks fr th Mmrs 

ARTIST: Fall Out Boy

ALBUM: Infinity on High