0.41 «Grayson Dolan»

[edited]

"I wanted to go to college, to graduate and get a job. Do what I chose to. Get married when the time came. And now that's never gonna happen."

She was right. It wouldn't happen.

"So, there's no treatment at all?" I hesitantly ask.

"Grayson, it's really complicated and-"

"I have time," I furiously sit down right where I'm standing in the room, "I've got all the time in the world."

She sighs, looking extremely exhausted. I know it was tough, but I didn't care. I needed to know everything about this, and I needed to know it from Emmy.

"Ever since I was born, my pancreas has failed at doing one of the few things asked of it, hence my diabetes.  But one day - the day of the state track meet - it suddenly started producing too much insulin, and that caused low blood sugar, which is why I passed out."

"But isn't your problem usually high blood sugar?" I ask, interrupting her.

She nods her head, "Yeah, so that's why, when the doctors told my parents what had caused the seizure, they were shocked and confused. But he wasn't quite done as far as news went."

"That's when he told them I had pancreatic cancer, stage three since we had found it so late."

"So, what does that mean exactly. What's happening to you right now?" I question, being a little blunt. I just couldn't help it.

"The cancer cells formed in my pancreas, and since its already weak, they quickly took over. And...."

She trailed off, and I ran to her side. I was mad at her, no doubt about it, but she was still my girlfriend, and I still loved her. She was in need of comfort now more than ever, and I was gonna be there for her.

"What is it, Emmy?"

She laughed. What the hell was that about?

"What're you laughing about?"

"It's just, I could've gotten a pancreas transplant. I would've been the perfect candidate. Young, long life ahead of me. But then the cancerous cells spread to some other organs, like my kidneys and liver. This disease could be out of me right now, but because I haven't had a doctor's checkup in a while, it progressed to Stage 3 cancer."

I raged. These stupid fucking circumstances. She would've been alright. She would have survived, and lived a long life with everybody she cared about.

With me.

"And so, the doctor noticed huge tumors all over my body when he did the MRI. The cells have begun to crowd around my heart and lungs. When that happens, I'll...,"

"You'll die," I finished, still not quite believing it myself.

She nodded, snorting as she continued to sob. I held her in my arms.

"Thanks, Grayson."

"For what?"

"For not bullshitting me and saying it's gonna be okay," she says.

"But don't you want everything to be okay, for you to be cured?" I ask, confused at her thanks.

"Of course I do. But that's not gonna happen. And I'd face reality then live my final weeks believing a lie."

"But, Emmy, isn't there anything? Chemotherapy? Surgery? Hell, even spiritual healing?" I argue.

She chuckled for a small second, "There was the option of chemotherapy, but-"

I jumped in excitement, "That's great, Emmy. Oh thank God! You're gonna be alright," I breathed deeply, trying to calm myself.

"BUT, the chances of it working are slim, and I've decided not to do it," she yells over my shouts of joy.

"What? What do you mean, not doing it?" I scream. Was she joking? She had a chance of living and she wasn't going to freaking leap at it?

"Because, Grayson, I'm not gonna spend the rest of my already short life in a hospital having chemicals pumped into my body, and then still die," she explains.

I feel dejected, and my arms go slightly numb, "So, that's it?"

She moves her head up and down, telling me yes. 

"How much time do you have left?"

"Seven weeks, since we found out a week ago at the hospital."

"What are you gonna do with those seven weeks?" I ask.

She gives me the biggest smile I've seen her wear in a long time, "I'm gonna make them the best seven weeks of my life."

~  ~  ~  ~

SONG OF THE CHAPTER: Jack the Ripper vs. Hannibal Lecter

ARTIST: Epic Rap Battles of History

not technically a song but still bomb!