0.31.1 «Grayson Dolan»

[edited]

It was finally March, and more specifically, the day of the State Track Meet.

"EVAN! LET'S GO!" Elliot honked the horn. Evan came running out of the house, and we were off.

Emmy, Max, had gone early along with Mr and Mrs. Samuels to register. Ethan, Elliot, Evan, and me were coming now, about an hour after them.

We arrived at the large stadium where the event was being held, and found our seats, which Emmy's parents had saved for us.

I scanned the field for Emmy, and finally found her near the benches where the runners sat. Max looked to be giving her some kind of pep talk.

I decided to go and give her one too. I make my way down the bleachers and into the athletes' area, which I'm not really sure if that was allowed.

"Grayson! What are you doing here?" Emmy hisses once she sees me

"Shh! I'm not entirely sure I'm supposed to be here," I tell her.

She laughs, "Only you, Gray."

"So, how are you doing?" I put my hands on her bare shoulders.

Oh my God. She was freezing. Given, it was the end of March in New Jersey and she was wearing a tank top. But she was still too cold.

Deathly cold.

"I'm fine, Grayson," she rolls her eyes and tries to pry away, but I tighten my grip on her.

"Grayson! I'm fine," she tries again, and this time, I let my hands go.

"Sorry, I'm just worried about you."

She gets closer to me, "I know you are Gray, but I promise, I'm alright. Just the normal butterflies," she smiles.

"That's great. You'll do amazing!"

"Thanks," she gives me a kiss, then heads over to her bench.

I take my seat again, and hear the announcer begin explaining everything.

I don't really listen, as I'm still looking at Emmy. Why did she look so pale? Even more than usual?

I shook the ideas out of my head, this happened to her in the winter. I knew that. I told myself everything would be fine.

The events started with the long jump, where Max was up. He did well, landing the farthest of all his competitors.

They continued with jumping, and then it was the hurdles.

"Girls 400 meter hurdles is next."

Each girl was called by her lane number, and Emmy took her place in the fourth one.

The blank was fired, and the girls were off. Emmy had told me about her fear of the hurdles. But she hadn't fallen during practice lately, so I assumed it would be alright.

I watched my girlfriend closely. I noticed how close her thighs were to knocking over the plastic barriers, but when she successfully crossed the finish line in second place, I let go of a breath.

"Grayson?" Evan asked, "Do you notice anything wrong with Emmy? She looks a little out of it."

I was honestly surprised that Evan noticed. Of the twins, Elliot was the one I had most expected to realize something was wrong. But just looking at Evan's face, I could tell he was actually quite concerned for his sister's well-being, definitely more than he would like to admit.

"I noticed that she does seem a little distracted, but she insisted she was just a little nervous," I shrugged.

"She better be," I heard him mutter, and then turn to Elliot. What was that supposed to mean?

I didn't get a chance to ask, because Emmy's next event was called.

"Girls 1200 meter run."

The event began, and I could see Emmy pacing herself like usual. But she didn't look fine. In fact, she looked exactly the opposite. Her face was an unnatural shade of blue, and she was on the edge of her lane, as if she couldn't control herself.

And then, all of a sudden, Emmy wasn't running like she loved to do. She was lying on the ground, and her body was shaking.

I was on my feet in a split second, and so were Ethan, Elliot, Evan, and Mr and Mrs. Samuels.

"Emerson Samuels from Morris County is down and seems to be injured."

I was running through the crowd of people who had assembled near the edge of the bleachers. I pushed through them and quickly leaped over the ledge. Elliot, Evan, and Ethan did the same, and I could tell they were right behind me.

"HEY! LET ME THROUGH!" I shouted.

I saw Emmy's petite body lying on the ground, and then being loaded onto a stretcher by the paramedics that were on standby.

I finally was able to get close to her, "Emmy, Emmy, stay with me, babygirl, stay with me."

I gripped her hand, which was incredibly clammy. Her tank top was soaked through with sweat. Hadn't she just been cold?

She was moving her head around uncontrollably, and wouldn't look at me directly. Every two seconds, one of her limbs would lash out, almost hitting one of the EMTS, who were scurrying around and giving orders.

She looked at me finally, and her eyes grew wide, "GET AWAY FROM ME!" She shouted.

"What? Emmy, it's me, Grayson," I tried to reason with her.

She pushed me away again, "GET AWAY FROM ME, STOP!"

"Sir, I'm gonna need to step away," one of the first responders tells me.

"But, she's my girlfriend. I swear, just please let me talk to her."

Emmy's cries continue. "Sir, she's hallucinating right now. We're gonna need you to step away, just until we get the situation under control.

I reluctantly do as he says, stepping back so I'm standing next to Ethan and the rest of the Samuels family.

"What's wrong with her?" I ask Elliot.

"I don't know," he shakes his head, looking devastated.

I look at Emmy's body once again, and see that she's stopped shaking. Instead, she wasn't doing anything, she was just lying there.

"Patient had slipped into unconsciousness, we're gonna need to make a trip to the ER," I hear one of the paramedics say.

I guess Mr. Samuels heard him too, because he steps forward, "Please, she's my daughter. What's happening?"

He sighs, "Your daughter has slipped into a coma. We're taking her to the ER at St. Graham's local hospital. I'll need you to meet us there, sir."

"Of course," Mr. Samuels nods quickly, but I can see the fear in his eyes, "But what's causing all of this?"

"Sir, your daughter is having a diabetic seizure."

~  ~  ~  ~

part 2 will be up soon. happy [late] thanksgiving!

SONG OF THE CHAPTER: POWER

ARTIST: Kanye West