0.22 «Emerson Samuels»

[edited]

I was shaken awake as we arrived back in New Jersey.

Grayson's beautiful brown eyes were staring at me, "Come on, Emmy. We're here."

"Ugh, back in boring old Jersey," I sighed, sitting up and straightening my clothes.

They had already dropped Addi off at her house while I was still asleep, and now we were in the Dolans' driveway, since they had volunteered to take the van back to the rental dealership.

"See ya guys later," we called, dragging our bags across the fifty meters that separated our houses. 

They waved back at us, and we both went inside. We were instantly attacked by our parents, who gave us hugs and welcomed us home.

"MY BABIES!" my mother screeched, wrapping me tightly in her arms. 

"How was New York City, then?"

"It was so fun!" we all exclaimed in agreement.

"Ooh, go upstairs and change, then we want to see pictures."

We do as they say, taking our suitcases up the stairs and into our relative bedrooms. I change and put some stuff away, then head downstairs.

"She and Grayson are now dating or something," I hear Elliot's voice, "He asked her out last night on top of the Empire State Building."

"ELLIOT!" I yell, and they all finally notice me standing in the doorway, "That's not your story to tell!"

"That's not your story to tell!" Evan mocks me in a whiny voice.

"Shut the fuc-"

"Emerson!" my father says sternly, "Stop that sentence right there!"

"Ugh, sorry. But it's really none of his business," I grunt.

"Well, you didn't tell us, Emmy, and this is the kind of thing we need to know. You should be thankful to have such caring brothers," Mum says in a sweet voice.

"What the actual hell? Caring? Please. And second of all, who said I wasn't going to tell you. I just got downstairs! Third of all, may I just remind you that El and Ev weren't even there, they just know what happened from what Grayson and I told them!" I argue, my voice rising.

"Alright, Emerson. Tell us what happened."

So I did. My mother clapped her hands in excitement when she heard the news, "I knew you too would be good together!"

"Hold on a sec. You knew I liked him?"

"Of course, honey. You make it kind of obvious. And besides, you act like I wasn't a teenager once. I know the signs of a crush."

"Mum, may I please stop you right there in your pathetic attempt to be relatable," I say, smiling.

She shoves me playfully, "Ah, that hurt me right here," she feigns hurt, patting her heart.

"Both of you, stop this now!" Evan commands.

We all laugh, and my dad speaks up for the first time since we got back, "Emerson, I just have one question."

"Shoot, dad."

"How far are you planning on taking this?"

"DAD! Really? In front of them?" I ask, gesturing to my brothers, who were snickering and whispering to each other.

"Emerson, it's just a question. How long are you planning to continue this relationship with Grayson?"

"Dad, we literally just got together yesterday. I don't know," I shrug.