0.45 «Grayson Dolan»

[edited]

week four

The car ride to the hospital was mostly grim, uncomfortable silence. And I didn't like it one bit.

Emmy was asleep next to me, snoozing soundly, and Mrs. Samuels was driving.

"Grayson, I really appreciate you coming today. It means a lot to Emmy. And to me, as well," she gives a sad look from the rear-view mirror.

"Of course," I simply said, "This is just a check-up, right?"

She sighs, "It's to see how the cancer cells are progressing in her body. We're not quite sure what we'll find."

I nodded.

Every week, Emmy would go to the hospital and have more and more tests run on her. This was my first time going with her. 

When she had asked me to come on Monday afternoon, I hadn't been to sure. Of course I wanted to be there to help her, but I was scared.

Scared that she would break down in the hospital, and I would have to witness that. I didn't want to watch Emmy start crying again. I couldn't take it.

I shook my girlfriend gently awake as we pulled up to the medical center. She rubbed her eyes, yawning, "Seriously, we couldn't have gotten a time after 10:00 am?" she mutters.

I don't laugh, just help her out of the car. She shoots me a weird look. "You okay?"

"I should be asking you the same thing."

"I'm fine. Don't worry, the doctors here are really nice," she walks ahead.

I wasn't worried about the patient satisfaction rate of the hospital.

Emmy presses the third button on the elevator, the one marked, Oncology

We walked up to the front desk as soon as the doors of the lift opened.

"Emerson Samuels," Mrs. Samuels said to the lady sitting down behind the large computer monitor, "Appointment with Dr. Jensen for 9:30."

"Ahh, yes. Sign these and wait right there," she points to the chairs in the corner of the lobby/waiting room area, "Dr. Jensen will be right out."

We sit down as we're told, and Mrs. Samuels begins filling out the documents she was given.

I see Emmy looking fine and relaxed as we waited. I, on the other hand, was bouncing my leg up and down frantically, and my hands were shaking. 

Emmy grabbed my hand, and looked into my eyes, "It's alright, Gray. I'll be just fine."

You better be.

"Just nervous," I gave a little smile.

"Emmy?" a male voice called.

All three of us looked up, and saw a relatively young man standing right in front of us. He wore a doctor's coat over a pressed dress shirt and a tie, with black pants. 

"Hey, Dr. Jensen," Emmy said, standing up. 

"You know the drill. Report to the nurse's station and find Kayla. Change into the gown, and I'll be right there, just as soon as I talk out some things with you mom," he tells her.

"Ok, see you guys soon," she gave me a small peck on the lips and her mom a hug before walking deeper into the hospital, through the large doors.

"You must be Grayson," Dr. Jensen shakes me hand, "I've heard lots about you."