0.37 «Grayson Dolan»

[edited]

It has been a week since the state track meet, and although Emmy was doing better (as she constantly insisted), I didn't really let her out of my sight. 

We were over at my house, just relaxing after school.

Emmy's musical laugh was ringing in my hears as she watched the screen. The way she threw her head back and closed her eyes made her look even more adorable.

"What are you thinking about?" I suddenly hear her ask.

"Nothing. Why do you assume I'm thinking?"

"Number one, you normally would've dies laughing at this type of scene," she pointed at the screen, "And two, your eyebrows are furrowed together in that cute way whenever you're really focused."

I chuckle, and shrug a little, "I've just been thinking about the future lately," I admit.

"Oh?" I see her turn down the volume of the movie, "What exactly about the future?"

This was one of the things I loved most about Emmy. Whenever you wanted to talk, she would not only listen, she would block out anything else, and focus primarily in you. It made you want to pour your soul out to her.

"I've been wondering about what I'm gonna do after school, what I plan to do for a job. College applications," I roll my eyes.

"Why, though? Like it's great and all that you're preparing yourself, but those things are still way off. How about thinking about things that are possibly a little closer. Like, this year."

I think for a second, "What about us?"

"Huh?" She raises her eyebrows.

"You and me, Emmy. Us. What are we gonna be next year?"

She looked so uneasy when I said that, it made me feel weird.

"Um...Grayson, it's not that I don't want us to be together, it's just-"

"Emmy, be honest," I interrupt her. I wasn't sure what she was gonna say, or how I was gonna react to it, but I needed to know how she really felt.

She looked up at me, and I was certain I could see tears in her eyes, "Emmy, what's going on? Please tell me," I said, my voice shaking.

"Grayson, I-" she wiped her eyes with her delicate-looking hands.

"I-I have to go," she said quickly, gathering up her things.

"What?"

"I'll call you later- or something," she rushed out the door. I ran after her, and saw her running into her house after fumbling with her keys at the front door.

I stood on my lawn, frozen and confused. What had literally just happened? What had I said that had made her so upset?

I went back inside, and grabbed my phone. I tried calling her, but of course she didn't answer. Was this the Addi situation all over again? The only problem was, I literally didn't know what I done wrong.

I decided to call Evan, since I knew that Elliot wasn't home.

"Hey, Grayson. What's up?" He greeted me as he answered. I sighed in relief. I had a chance, at least.

"Evan, are you at home right now?"

"Yeah, why?"

"So, Emmy was just at my house, and she ran back home crying," I explain.

"What the hell happened? I heard a door slam, but thought nothing of it," Evan rages.

"That's just it, I really don't know. I tried calling after her, but she wouldn't even turn around and look at me. This isn't at all like her."

"You're right about that. Look, I'll see what's up with her, and then I'll call you back."

"Alright, sounds good. And if it was something I did, can you tell her I'm sorry?"

"Sure thing, dude. Talk to you later, bye," he hangs up.

I sighed, sinking it the couch behind me, pictures of Emmy crying and running away filling my head.

~  ~  ~  ~

this chapter was an absolute pain and kept deleting ugh.

SONG OF THE CHAPTER: Fairly Local

ARTIST: twenty øne piløts

ALBUM: Blurryface