0.42 «Emerson Samuels»

[edited]

week one

Everyone now knew the news. Or at least, the people who mattered. I had told Ethan and Max, and my parents had gone to tell the school, which had been awkward.

Everybody had tried to convince me not to go to school, but I had insisted. I didn't need everyone there knowing about my situation.

I didn't need their pity. I didn't need their fake 'I'm sorry's'. That could all happen when I was dead, but not in front of me.

I mean, they would eventually figure it out. I would just suddenly disappear, but my brothers were staying? We had dumb people at our school, but anyone could put those pieces together.

*  *  *  *

My ringtone blared through the room on Monday morning, and I fumbled through the dark, looking for my phone.

"Hello?" I asked groggily.

"Hey, babe," Grayson's voice ran through my ears, immediately making my mood slightly better.

"What's up, Gray?"

"Nothing, I was just wondering if you wanted a ride to school with Ethan and me? We're gonna leave in like ten minutes."

I laughed, "What time is it. Why are you up so early?"

"Emmy, it's 7:30," he tells me.

I roll my eyes, even though he can't see me, "And school starts at 8:00. I have a chance that Elliot and Evan aren't here, and I'm going to use it to sleep in a little," I argue, lying back down on my pillow.

I hear him take a deep breath in and sigh, "Whatever you say, Emmy. See ya later, I guess."

I smile, "Yeah, see you in like twenty minutes. I'll be there," I tell him.

I can practically see him shaking his head, "I'm sure you will. Bye bye."

"Bye, love you," I hang up, and throw my phone down, closing my eyes again.

I had the wonderful and rare opportunity that Elliot and Evan were staying over at a friend's house, and, like I told Grayson, I was planning to make the absolute most of it by sleeping in. After all, school wasn't that far, and you weren't officially counted late until 8:10. I was gonna be fine.

Or so I thought. Turns out I didn't really set an alarm after throwing my phone down so quickly, and I woke up at around 7:50.

And so that's why I was currently rushing through the kitchen, trying to find something to eat for breakfast.

I threw open the pantry filled with snacks, "Fuck you, Elliot!" I yelled once I saw there was no more of the cereal I liked.

I settled for a granola bar, and ran back to my room, where I grabbed the first shirt and pair of jeans that I saw, and put them on, eating my small breakfast at the same time.

I scrambled through the papers on my desk, trying to find the printed report that was supposedly due first period. I end up grabbing the whole binder, and stuffing it into my bag. I find a hoodie and my jingling keychain, running down the stairs. 

Once my shoes and socks were on, I was in the car and down the driveway lightning quick. I put my music on shuffle, and lightly jammed as I navigated the streets.