0.4 «Grayson Dolan»

[edited]

It was the end of the school day, and it was finally time for Emerson and me to head over to my place.

"I'll meet you at the front door in ten minutes. I have to put my stuff away and make sure Ethan isn't coming," I tell her.

She nods, "Alright." 

I head in the direction of my locker, where I see Ethan waiting for me.

"Hey, Gray. Emerson still going with you?"

"Yep. Bro, I'm nervous as hell. What should I do?"

He tries to calm me down, "Do what I told you last night. Finish the part of the project that you'll be working on, and then just have fun. Watch a movie or something. You can also talk to her on the walk home, get to know her better," he says.

"You're not coming?"

He shakes his head, "I'm going to Alex's house. But you'll be fine, just be yourself, Gray."

"Dude, have you met me?" I ask, pointing at myself.

He laughs, "Yeah, Grayson, I've known you my whole life. You'll be just fine, she's just a girl. You talk to them every day," he reasons.

I agree, "You're right. Thanks for your help, bro. See ya at home," I call, already running down the hallway. He yells back some response that I don't quite hear, since I'm turning the corner to the front hall by then. I don't want to keep Emerson waiting.

After two minutes, I see Emerson approaching, and we walk out of the school and in the direction of our neighborhood.

We arrive at my house, and I introduce her to my mom before leading her upstairs. I tell Emerson to sit down while I go change. I go to my closet in the corner, and grab a pair of sweatpants. I struggle to get on my shirt as I keep tripping over a pair of shoes that I borrowed from Ethan.

I finally to get my neck through the proper hole, and kick the slightly open door with my foot. Huh, I thought I had closed it. As I walk out, I quickly see Emerson turn her whole face the other way. Did she see me changing? I suddenly feel very self-conscious.

She looks at me, and I can't help but grin back at her. She has that type of smile that lights up a room, it's contagious, and I love it.

She hands me a piece of paper and gives me directions on what to do. I opened my textbook to the chapter, and began reading. But I wasn't really paying attention. Instead, I was staring at Emerson. This was the first time I had really gotten a good look at her face. She had cold blue eyes and straight brown hair, same as her brothers.

She crinkled her eyebrows and stuck out her tongue a little bit when she focused. She was scribbling away with her left hand on the paper. Oh my God! She caught me staring multiple times. Each time, I would put my head down, embarrassed.

After about an hour and a half of taking notes and staring at this beautiful girl in front of me, I suggested we take a break, and she agreed.

We decided to watch a movie on Netflix, and she immediately said comedy. I scrolled through a bunch of funny movies, until Emerson chose The Wolf of Wall Street.

About halfway through the movie, my mom calls us for pizza. When we go into the kitchen, I see Cameron grabbing a slice of pepperoni.

I introduce Emerson to Cameron, and we each grab some pineapple pizza. As we're eating on the couch, I hear Ethan call my name, "Gray, did you get-" he stops when he sees Emerson.

"Hey, Emerson."

"Hi, Ethan!"

He turns to the TV screen. "You guys are watching a funny movie and eating pizza, without me?" he says, mocking hurt.