0.31.2 «Grayson Dolan»

[edited]

Diabetic seizure? But Emmy didn't have diabetes.

Everyone was rushing to the car, but I was still confused as I followed. What had that man meant?

"Alright, you boys meet us at the ER at St. Graham's," Mrs. Samuels said, her voice shaky.

Elliot nodded his head, and hopped into the drivers seat, muttering to himself as we sped off after them.

"Stupid, stupid, STUPID?!" Elliot pounded his fists on the dashboard in frustration.

"El, calm down and drive," Evan orders. The roles between the two brothers had definitely been reversed right now.

Ethan stayed silent next to me, but his head was buried in his hands. Why was no one addressing what the man had said?

"Guys, what the hell did that paramedic mean by diabetic seizure?" I finally ask.

All three of them stop and look at me.

Evan speaks, "Grayson, come on, it's from her-" his eyes grow wide.

"From her what?" I ask, my voice rising slightly.

"You don't know, do you?" Elliot says to me.

"Know what?!"

"Emerson has Type I Diabetes," Evan finally says.

"What?! No she doesn't?" I say. What in the world were they talking about? She would have told me. Right?!

"Yes she does, Gray. She's had it ever since she was born. Her blood sugar can get very low at times, and that's when she needs to inject herself with insulin," Elliot explains.

I was getting both frustrated and confused now, "I know what Diabetes is but right now I'm more concerned about the fact that my girlfriend has it," I was totally yelling at this point.

I look to Ethan, to see if he was just as shocked as I was about this news. Instead, he looked sad and worried.

"Hold on a sec. You knew about this?!" I shout.

"I-I found out by accident. She wouldn't have told me otherwise," he argues in his defense.

"When was this?"

"Gray, calm down and think-"

"When was this?" I repeat myself.

He sighs, "At the triplets' birthday. When we were upstairs."

"And you never, oh, I don't know, thought to mention this to me?!" I cry in anger.

"She asked me not to tell you, Gray. It wasn't my business in the first place, and I had to respect her decision. She said she wanted to tell you herself," he swears.

"Fine," I grit my teeth and rest my head back, staying silent for the rest of the ride.

We arrive at the emergency room, and go inside. Elliot and Evan run to their parents, but Ethan and I hang back a little until we're called over.

"She's sleeping now, but she's gonna be alright. We have to talk to the doctor, but you four can go see her right now," Mr. Samuels tells us.

We nod, and Mrs Samuels pats my shoulder, wiping her tears away.

We head to the hospital room that we were told to go to. There she was. She was lying down, sound asleep, the machine that was tracking her heartbeat beeping annoyingly.

I sat in the hard wooden chair near the bed, and Elliot, Evan, and Ethan sat on the couch underneath the large window.

"Can someone please explain to me what exactly is going on?"

Elliot sighs, "Gray, Emmy has Type I Diabetes. She has all her life. I don't know why she didn't tell you. She never told us anything about it."

I throw my head into my hands. God, what was happening? I couldn't take it any more.

"Why did this happen? The diabetic seizure, I mean."

Evan chimes in, "When she runs or does any type of exercise, her blood sugar drains. If she didn't inject her insulin before she started running, her blood sugar would have dropped, which is probably why she looked so sick today."

I nod, "But how can we know if she took it or not?"

They shrug, "We don't know. I reckon Mum and Dad will tell us that once they get back from speaking with the doc."

A knock comes from the door, and a tall figure steps in. It's Max.

"Hey, guys. How's she doing?" He asks.

"She's asleep right now, but she'll be okay," Ethan tells him.

"Oh, thank God," he breaths an audible sigh of relief, "I brought her bag like you asked, Elliot."

"Can I see it?"

"Uh, yeah. Here ya go," he hands him Emmy's duffel bag, which they quickly open and begin searching through.

"What're you looking for?"

"Her insulin kit. Each day, she takes four syringes full of insulin. If she took her insulin like she was supposed to, there should be one empty syringe."

"It's not in here," Evan says.

"Son of a bitch," Elliot mutters loudly, "Emmy, how could you?"

"What does that mean?" Max questions.

"It means she didn't take any insulin today," Evan cries, stomping his foot against the tile floor.

"What?"

"She doesn't have any syringes with her, which means,"

"She hadn't taken her insulin before she ran like she was supposed to," Ethan interrupts.

"Exactly. Of course this would happen. She gets too excited, and she makes stupid decisions. If she had just called us as soon as she noticed, I would've ran home and gotten it, I COULD'VE SAVED HER!" Elliot shouts in agony and frustration. He's close to breaking down.

Another knock comes from the door, and this time it's Emmy's parents and the doctor.

"Kids, I'm going to need to let the patient rest for tonight. Visiting hours are closing soon, but you can come back tomorrow."

"But Mum, we can't just leave Emmy like this," Elliot argues.

"Elliot Malcolm, you aren't going to argue with me on this one," Mrs. Samuels says, her voice firm.

"Fine."

"Maxwell, sweetie, come on I'll drop you off at home on our way. As for you four, get back home and we're coming back early tomorrow, I promise, alright?"

We're hesitant to agree, and Mr. Samuels must see that. "If it makes you feel any better, I'm staying the night. I'm not going to leave my daughter alone."

"Dad, if you're staying, we can stay too, though."

"Evan, I'm only staying in case she wakes up. Someone needs to be here so she doesn't freak out. It's been a long day for all of us, just go home, get some sleep, and we're gonna figure it all out tomorrow, alright son?" He looks at them sternly, as if they don't have a choice.

"Fine," they say again, nodding their heads.

Back in the car, I'm drowsy and want nothing more than to sleep, but I know I won't be getting very much tonight.

~  ~  ~  ~

SONG OF THE CHAPTER: Do It Like a Dude

ARTIST: Jessie J