0.48 «Emerson and Grayson»

[edited]

week seven

EMERSON

I didn't bother protesting when everyone decided that it was best for me to be in the hospital for the seventh and final week of the countdown. I honestly didn't care at that point, either. Any place where I would receive pain killers was fine with me.

Only Grayson seemed to notice my lack of argument, but he gratefully didn't say anything.

Mum and Dad visited me every morning, and then went to work. I was surprised that Dad hadn't insisted on staying near my bedside at all time. But it's all swell since Grayson's already filled that role up.

I swear, that dude didn't ever feel even the slightest bit tired. He was always there, catering to my every need.

I loved him and was so utterly grateful that he was taking care of me like this. I had honestly expected him to break up with me as soon as he knew about the whole situation. Not because I thought low of him or anything, but because that's what most people would do.

But I guess that Grayson wasn't most people.

Most people wouldn't get up and help me with even the stupidest things, and they sure as hell wouldn't do it with a smile on their face, which was only for my sake. I mean, it's not like Grayson was feeling okay.

"Gray?" I spoke out in the dark as my eyelids were beginning to feel heavy. I knew he would answer. He didn't fall asleep until I did. He doesn't know I noticed. Silly, lovable, caring Grayson.

"Yeah, Emmy? Do you need something?" his voice was suddenly filled with worry and urgency.

"No, no," I assured him quickly, "I just wanted to say good night, and that I love you."

I heard him shuffle in the dark, and felt the mattress dip next to my knees. His warm hand caressed my cheek. 

I felt his lips on my forehead as he planted a soft kiss on the top of my head, "Sleep tight. I love you too, dove."

*  *  *  *

GRAYSON

 In the final week of Emmy's life, she had been admitted to the hospital due to extreme soreness. She hadn't even objected this time, she was in that much pain. On Sunday, our first day here, the doctor had told of us the cancer's advancement to more vital organs.

I couldn't do anything but desperately watch as Emmy's frail body got weaker and weaker as each hour passed by. I wanted it to go faster, but at the same time, I didn't.

She told me it had become harder to breath as the cancer cells clustered around and took over her lungs. The mini-asthma attacks would happen so suddenly, I often wasn't sure how to react, other than furiously calling a nurse over, who came ready with the ventilator.

The same happened with her heart as it continued losing strength too. Some days she would lose feeling in a limb due to the serious lack of blood being pumped through her body.

And her kidneys were slowly being wiped out, forcing to be on constant dialysis. And her liver failing has caused her skin to yellow as she became more jaundiced.

Simple, daily tasks became challenges that I had to help her with. Support while walking or eating, uttering short phrases had even become difficult, taking her close to five minutes to say sentences. If she was feeling particularly bad on any day, I was the one who upped the dosage of painkillers, which she had been receiving to ease the process a little.