▷▶Chapter 31◀◁

~Natsu's P. O. V. ~

Holy shit the doctor did not just say that. "Excuse me?" Luce freaked. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DID YOUR BEST?" she shouted. "Lucy." Gray held her back, or she would have slapped the surgeon right in the face.

The surgeon bowed his head. "Truly, I'm sorry. We couldn't do anything. The cancer cells were just too high in number and we did the operation in the way that would have the least risks. It was as if Mr Heartfilia himself did not have the will to fight. You may go in to see him one last time."

Luce pushed past him together with Gray and entered the room. She wrinkled her nose a little at the familiar smell, then walked to her dad as we all watched from the entrance of the room. "Otou-sama." She and Gray whispered.

"Lu....cy........Gr....ray........." He croaked. I'd never seen him like this. Didn't he say he had two months left?

~Erza's P. O. V. ~

I felt...I don't know. I don't even know how to feel. Lucy...first, she herself was stabbed, now she has to face the imminent death of her father. That isn't fair to her.

Seeing my downcast and worried face as we crowded behind Lucy, Jellal snaked an arm around my waist and pulled me close. I felt the same butterflies and sparks and warmth, but sadness overcame them all. I snuggled in close, and watched as Gray and Lucy hold Jude's hands as he spoke, or rather tried to speak, his final words to them.

This pale man reflecting death itself looked so different from the one that commanded respect. I felt pity and sorrow for my two best friends who had to go through this much.

~Levy's P. O. V. ~

I was shocked and tears were slowly rolling down my face. Lu-chan has gone through so much, none of which she had deserved. Gray too. Just two days ago he radiated a thick air of authority, but now he was reduced to a shell. I don't believe it.

~Juvia's P. O. V. ~

Juvia hates Gray-sama's papa. But seeing how he made Gray-sama and Lucy-san so sad, Juvia can't help but feel sad too. Juvia feels sad for them. Juvia wants them to be happy.

~Jellal and Gajeel P. O. V. ~

Poor Lucy/Bunny Girl. The old man that was so intimidating...it's unbelievable how he could be sunken and pale in just a matter of two days. Hopefully Gray/Popsicle Freak and Lucy/Bunny Girl pulls through.

~Gray's P. O. V. ~

It wasn't easy standing next to a dying man who is your father and the one that kicked you out of the house at a tender age. I felt hate, love, sadness, and anger. It was like all the feelings came together and exploded. It was even harder to hear his last words while he is wasting his last breath on things that you have to strain to hear.

~Lucy's P. O. V. ~

"Nani, Otou-sama?" I asked, leaning in to hear what he was to say. "I...........love............you.............both. My ch..........children. I'm sor..........ry. Go to.......Mr Hart (A/N: made it up). He........I love......you."

I strained to hear more.

But he didn't say anything.

"Otou-sama?"

Silence. It was as if everything was in slow motion. I laid my head on his chest. I couldn't hear any heartbeat. I checked his pulse, his breathing.

Nothing.

Nil.

Nada.

Zilch.

"OTOU-SAMA!" I screamed. He didn't answer me. I wish he would just wake up and beat me up again and tell me to shut up. Gray hugged me. Natsu stepped forward but hung back, not wanting to interrupt.