Chapter 35: Almost

Chapter 35: Almost

    " Why the hell would you do that?!" Sadie shrieked after I told her about my encounter with Jackson.

     " Wha—?" I fumbled for words. " I'm sorry I didn't know he was a freaking genie"

    The line was quiet for a second. " So what do you think he'll do?"

      " Sadie!" I whisper yelled over the phone.

     " C'mon he's an ass but he's hot and you guys have chemistry" I could practically hear her smiling, if that's possible.

  " Speaking of chemistry...I need to speak to my professors about my homework next week" I paced the room.

   " What?" She laughed. " You actually do your assignments a week before its due?"

    " Well how else am I supposed to keep up with all this maf— stuff" I almost let it slip that Jackson was in the mafia but Sadie didn't seem to notice.

    " Remind me to get you drunk, or high, or both," Sadie muttered on the other line. " You seriously need to chill"

    " Definitely not," I firmly corrected. " I may have a glass of wine but no drugs. Never"

      " You know I used to say that before I got roofied" She stated honestly.

   " You got drugged?!" I gasped.

     " Shhh! Ashley," Sadie shushed. " Jeez, didn't you say Jackson and Aiden was with some guy out there?"

    I Paused. " No. I said they were with a friend...how do you know it's a guy?"

    " Oh, uh, seriously?" She let out a weird laugh. " You didn't say he was with that bitch Stacy and i'm pretty sure you're the closest person to a female friend Jackson Miller has right now"

     " You're right" I admitted a little disappointed. I haven't seen him with any girls other that Stacy a few times and that's it. I guess off limits is our new friend zone.

    " Uh Ash? I gotta go" Sadie announced after a distant male voice said something. " Sorry bye! oh and remember once you pop you can't stop"

   "Wha—?" the line went dead.

       My cheeks turned red. I can't believe she just said that! I sighed and sat on Jackson's soft bed. I guess her words have double meaning because she could be talking about my virginity or the possibility of a condom breaking. Either way is wrong.

   So wrong.

     I can practically hear my mom saying you need to be cleansed over and over even though she's not very religious. She can't be, I mean she has way too many sins. I covered my face with my hand and played the waiting game. The truth is I only called Sadie because I needed to talk to someone or I would lose my mind in this room. I haven't turned the lights on because I can't find a switch and his lamp is missing a bulb.

    I'm forced to sit in here another hour listening to the ticking of a clock I can't even see and the hushed whispers of three adults —although two of them act like they're 13— In the other room. The longer I sit here waiting for this 'punishment' the more nervous I get, and the more nervous I get, the more the flight side of me wants to run for the hills. Or climb through the window. If it wasn't bolted shut.

      Frowning in defeat I crawled on top of the bed, grabbed the fluffiest pillow and stared at the plain colored ceiling until my eyes unintentionally shut and I drift off. It felt like a few moments — I later learned it was hours— when the door opened and closed quietly. My eyes slowly fluttered opened in the now dimly lit room.