50

I certainly lost my alarm. And I certainly was less and less excited about going to school today.

Lauren is gone. Dinah is gone. Ally was at work. Normani will probably be in school. I mean, we weren't super best friends, I still don't know what it would be hang out with her alone, but I'm not complaining. I'm happy I still have her. And Sofi will only come back from school at 2 p m.

I would prefer to stay in bed. Obviously it wasn't a choice.

"I know you're awake." my mother said, this time breaking into my room to pull my blanket. "You're not going to miss school today."

"I'm sick." I said faking a cough.

She gave me a look. "Poor thing, it's because of the rain?"

I coughed again, hiding a smile. "Yes, mommy."

"Oh no.." she said dramatically. "Wait, I think I can help you.."

My mother walked up to my closet, grabbed a coat and threw on my bed.

"There it is. Now get up." she said smiling widely before heading out the door.

I groaned, rolling on my stomach and burying my face on my pillow. "Shit."

I got up, I did my usual routine to get ready for school, but with less ease than before. My father changed his work schedule for a couple of hours later to take Sofi on his way to work while I would go with my mom earlier as always.

So here we were; me and my parents having breakfast together. I will not deny that I enjoyed it, nobody was faking smiles or laughs, it was simply how things should be, and everything was in its place.

"Why can't I stay home?" I asked sipping my coffee. "There's a storm outside."

Since we got back home yesterday was raining and didn't seem to stop. I just wanted to stay home. Forget life. Just that.

"You've got school, simple as that." my mother stared at me.

My dad shook his head slightly and gave me a smile. "You can't miss school. Especially at the end of the year, Mija."

"And you know why?" my mom asked and I shrugged. "We were aware of your grades."

I stared at them wide eyes. How? When? They don't even have commented about it all these days. Of course they would use to this day especially!

"What do you mean? My grades are great." I lied anyways.

She looked at me a little irritated. "How can you not know this? We never had to receive notifications about you going bad in school."

I frowned thoughtfully. They were right, I wasn't a nerd as Dinah said, but I wasn't bad in school. And if they were notified about it was because things weren't good. I haven't really focused a lot in school before. There was a lot going on, school didn't seem very important at the time.

"You're not going to lose one day." my father took me out of my thoughts. "And you're not going out of this house except to school and pick up Sofi there."

"What do you mean?" I repeated eagerly.

"Parties, stay out late, that kind of thing you know very well." my mother stared at me seriously.

Well, they didn't know the news! I had no reason to leave the house. Ally was the most responsible for all of us, so I could probably go to her place, but she wouldn't drag me to parties. And Normani would probably join us and wouldn't do anything reckless.

Lauren was reckless. And Lauren wasn't here. She was in fucking New York.

"You don't have to worry about that anymore." I muttered, focusing on finishing my coffee.