-tasha

SHMONEY

"Hey, Dad," Sari kissed Rodney's cheek and walked past him into the house.

"Hey, baby. How's life?" he closed the door and Sari walked further into the kitchen, knowing the smell of steak and greens, Patricia was cooking Sunday dinner.

"It's really good so far," she smiled at him, hugging her mother from behind, "hi, mommy."

"Hey!" Patricia stopped what she was doing and hugged her daughter, "how are you?"

"Good, good," Sari sat beside Rodney at the barstool and looked at them both, "how are you guys? Everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah--"

"Well..."

"Tricia," Rodney warned, "do not."

"Rodney..."

"What happened?" Sari frowned, putting a hand under her chin.

"I just..." Patricia wiped her hands off and looked in the oven at the cornbread, "we just...okay. There's a festival in Vegas featuring your father's and I's favorite bands and singers in a few weeks. Earth, Wind, and Fire, Babyface, Anthony Hamilton. All of them. And we were wondering if you could watch RJ."

"Mom," Cesaria had to think because the last time she could recall her younger brother was seventeen and fully capable of being home alone, "he's--"

"I know, but you know how he is. He almost burned the house down by making toast!"

"Oh my goodness, okay. I guess I can watch him. He still has a car right?"

"Yeah, yeah, he's good on going to work we just want him to have food and a nice bed to sleep in. But you know he does his own thing sometimes."

"Okay, no problem, mom."

"And, uh," she twisted her mouth to the side and turned back to the food she was making, "we don't want to dip too much into our savings for retirement, so I just thought--"

"Cesaria we just need two hundred and fifty dollars," Rodney blurted, his impatient side coming out, "each."

"Okay, you guys," she replied easily, "I have the money. Mom, why are you so shy?"

"Because I hate asking you for things in case you don't want--"

"I'm sure you've done more for me than I for you," Sari crossed her legs but realized that was way too much effort, "anyway, it's no problem."

"Thank you."

"I said that same thing, you know?" Rodney stated, "I said we've done enough for her so she should understand."

"Of course you did, father. You're more straightforward," she patted his back and hopped down.

"Cesaria, have you talked to Tasha?"

"Who?"

"Tasha."

"Who?"

"She came by a few days ago, asking for your number because she got a new one a while ago," Patricia looked at her daughter and frowned, "are you two not talking?"

"Not at all, mom. I just realized how in the way she was."

"You guys have been friends forever, I don't understand."

"I thought she already knew I was fat, but she kept throwing it in my face. Even when I was first talking to Zayn, and even when his mom didn't like me already. They both can go rot in hell--"