-gabby

SHMONEY

"So what's the gender?"

"You didn't ask Zayn?" Sari countered with a frown, looking at Trisha in agitation.

Zayn fucking Malik had woke Sari up one night because he was arguing on the phone with his mother. Trisha knew about the pregnancy, but what annoyed Sari and Zayn was that she acted surprised when they spoke of the baby. Her voice would get high and she'd ask a million questions, none about Sari or how she was feeling.

Then, all of a sudden, Trisha began worrying Zayn, always asking when they all can meet up and talk. Sari didn't want to talk, this woman disrespected her whole being, but it was also time to forget about it. That was months ago, and Sari was a part of Zayn's life whether his mom liked it or not. Maybe she began to accept it.

So, Zayn told Trisha when to meet today, at a Starbucks not too far away. Saris back was hurting so she was already in a sour mood, and Trisha tried to make small talk but it was meaningless either way.

Sari wanted to leave.

"It's a girl," Sari muttered absentmindedly, "due in a month or so."

"Oh, that's great!" Trisha smiled, only Sari didn't return it, "how are you feeling?"

"Like shit."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"You kinda look like crap--"

"Excuse me--"

"Bloop," Zayn muttered and sat down beside Sari with their lattes, "hey."

"That was a joke, take a joke," Trisha defended herself and made a face.

"The last thing you need to do is joke with me, Mrs. Malik," Sari's eyes twitched as she stared at the woman, her nails tapping on the porcelain of her mug, "between you and me, and Zayn here, you are at the way bottom of my list of people I joke with."

"Now--"

"Actually, you're not on any list, ma'am. That's how much you affect my life now."

"Sari, I'm not who you made me out to be--"

"Okay, okay," Zayn chanted, leaning up and putting his hands under his chin, "Let's say...Sari wasn't bigger than me, nor did she have any features you wanted my girlfriend to have, not even the right mannerisms -- which are indeed important, huh? After all of that is taken out, why do you not like her?"

"Because no one is good enough for you," Trisha replied truthfully, folding her arms, "and you're not getting hurt again."

"So you'd want me to be lonely forever?"

"No. But--"

"I haven't been in a relationship in two years, ma," Zayn spoke through his teeth, "and when I do, I'm happy and you're in the background making things worse."

Trisha sat back and picked at her nails, a small frown on her face.

Sari could sense the tension. "For the record, uh, if we're being honest, I don't think I'm good enough for Zayn either. If that makes you feel better."

"It doesn't. Makes me feel worse."

"Oh, then...good."

"Sari, shut up," Zayn put a finger to her lips and smushed it, "stop, you're my better half."

"Eh," she shrugged a shoulder and looked at her latte, her hand rested on his, "what time is it?"

"Uh, twelve fifty one."