misunderstandings

"Are you serious, Y/N? You were all over each other!" Cameron shouts, shutting the front door behind us.

"Stop it, Cameron. You know that Matt and I are just friends." I say, straining to remain calm.

"Do I really? Because it doesn't seem like it." He says coldly.

"You think I'm touchy-feely with every single guy! You're so overprotective! I can't even hang out with my friends without you being so damn annoying about it!" I raise my voice, ditching the idea to stay calm.

"Maybe I would be less protective over you if you stopped acting like such a slut!" His words come out quickly and angrily. My mouth hangs open and my eyes water. Due to my hurtful past, I've grown to despise that word. Cameron knows how much I hate that word and he knows to never call me that awful name.

Instantly, the dress I'm wearing feels too short. The heels feel too high. I feel vulnerable, ugly, slutty, and hurt.

"Wait, Y/N, I didn't mean it." His voice softens and he sighs. He steps closer to me and I feel my back hit the wall behind me. I shut my eyes, trying to push the idea of my ex-boyfriend, Nick out of my head.

"Yes you did, Cameron. I'm going home." I turn and open the front door. The warm California air flows in and wraps around my body, hugging me softly and begging me to step outside. I look at the palm trees outside and for a minute, I forget about the serious situation going on right now.

Cameron's stern voice calling my name pulls me out of my gaze, making the warm air instantly feel freezing cold and the sight of the palm trees becomes less inviting.

"Y/N!" He repeats, grabbing my wrist. I turn to see his angry facial features. I flinch hard and whimper.

"D-don't hit me, please. I'm sorry. Please don't hit me." I cover my face with my hands, slumping down to the floor in a crying heap. I curl my knees up to my chest, instantly sending myself into panic mode.

"Oh, baby girl." Cam's voice cracks and he picks me up, holding me in his lap. "Shh... calm down... I'm sorry for scaring you."

I keep repeating "Please don't hurt me." Because that's all that I can get out, rocking back and forth in his arms. I'm having a panic attack. My panic attacks stopped for a while after my bad relationship ended, and this is the first one I've had in a while.

"I'm not gonna hurt you, baby." Cam repeats over and over, holding me tightly while trying to wipe the tears that keep flowing.

My panic attack passes and now I just sit in his arms, feeling numb, as tears roll down my cheeks.

"Y/N, I wouldn't hit you. You know that, don't you? Why would you think I'd hit you?" Cam wipes my tears and holds me closer. After a moment, his breath catches in the back of his throats when he comes into realization of what happened in my past. "Nick hit you... he hit you, didn't he?"

I just sob harder and curl into Cameron's chest. The flashbacks of his hand hitting my face, punching my arm, grabbing my hair, forcing me to do things I didn't want to, and more horrid things flood my mind, making me shake. I never told Cameron about these things because I liked keeping them to myself. Nobody knew except Nick and I... until just now.

"Y/N, I'm so sorry." Cam picks me up and sits me on the couch, getting a glass of water for me to try and calm me. "You deserved so much better than him, no one should've ever touched you like that."

"It was so bad, Cameron." I say calmly on the outside, despite the swirling black tornado of emotions inside.

"You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to, but I'm here if you want to talk." Cam places his hand on my knee and I jerk my leg back.

"I'm sorry, Cam. It's just that he-" Cam cuts me off.

"Y/N, it's okay, don't apologize." He nods and caresses my face. "I'm sorry for scaring you."

"Cameron, I love you so much. Thank you for being so understanding. You're the best person in the whole world." I scoot closer and lay in Cameron's arms.

"I love you more." He says simply, playing with my hair.

I'm so grateful for a boyfriend like him. Maybe I'll learn to trust people again.

A/N

Hi!
Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter!
If you are ever going through something like this (or anything at all) I'm here for you.
If you don't want to talk to me, here's the domestic abuse hotlines:

1800-799-SAFE (7233)

1800-787-3224 (TTY)

Sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes etc.