pool panic

I stand beside the pool, glancing down at the clear water. Each time I've been invited to swim, I make an excuse so that I don't have to.

The reason I don't like swimming, is because I don't know how to. Growing up, I was very poor and I lived in a small apartment with my mother, and swimming was never an interest of mine. When we finally moved to Los Angeles and got a nicer apartment, I was sixteen years old and I was too embarrassed to take swimming lessons, so I never learned. The only person at this pool party that knows about this is my best friend, Mahogany.

While she speaks, I start to stare at Cameron in the distance. I've always had a huge crush on her friend, Cameron, but I'm way too shy to talk to him.

"Y/N?" Mahogany calls me, tapping my shoulder. "Y/N, I was talking."

"I'm sorry." I turn my attention back to her and apologize. "I just started daydreaming, I'm really sorry."

"Y/N, I saw you staring at him." She smiles and I shake my head, my cheeks turning pink. "Just go talk to him!"

I shake my head again and look down, blushing even more.

I see Cameron and his friends walking over and my heartbeat races.

"Aren't you girls going to swim?" Cameron looks between us and I shake my head.

Cameron takes my hand and I glance up into his eyes.

"Come on, come swim with me." He tugs on my hand and I pull back.

"Cam-" Mahogany starts but I shake my head.

"Come on, on three. One...two..." Cameron wraps his arm around my waist and I try pulling away softly. "Three!"

He jumps, taking my lightweight body with him. My head submerges underwater and I open my eyes, the chlorine stinging them. I see Cameron push himself up and out of the pool. I shut my eyelids quickly and swing my arms, trying to swim to the surface. I kick my legs and when I finally get to the surface, I take in a big breath of water, which I miscalculated as air. I feel the water go down my windpipe and I cough, bubbles forming in the water before me.

I hear Mahogany's muffled yells above the water and I see Cameron jump back into the water, swimming over towards me. He lifts me out of the water and pushes me up onto the grass.

I kneel on my hands and knees and cough up water, feeling someone kneel beside me.

"Y/N, I'm so sorry, I didn't know that you couldn't swim." Cameron rubs my back and I cough a bit more before sitting down on the ground. He grabs a towel and wraps it around my shoulders, rubbing my back again.

"Cam, it's okay, you didn't know." I smile at him, brushing my wet hair back behind my ear, my cheeks burning with embarrassment.

"Y/N, it's not okay, I'm so sorry." Cameron looks into my eyes frantically. "I'm gonna drive you to the hospital."

"Cameron, I don't need to go-" I start but Aaron cuts me off.

"You should probably go just to make sure you're okay, Y/N." he nods and I sigh.

"C'mon, I'll drive you." Cameron lifts me and carries me out to his car, sitting me in the passenger seat. I groan out of embarrassment. I have a huge crush on Cameron and I completely just made a fool out of myself.

He gets into the driver's seat and shuts the door, looking over at me.

"Cameron, I'm really okay." I smile and nod. Cameron shakes his head and protests, backing out of the driveway. We eventually get to the hospital and he helps me inside even though I don't need help.

We get inside and he has me sit down, while he signs me in. I realize that is no one else in the waiting room with me and I wait for Cameron to sit back down with me. He turns and sits beside me.

"They said it won't be long because there aren't a lot of people here." Cameron nods and I thank him. "Does your chest feel heavy?"

"Not really, why?" I ask, looking over at him.

"If it feels heavy, there might be more water in your chest." Cameron speaks softer and I glance at his lips, seeing them curve into a small smile. "What? Why are you staring at me like that?"

I shrug and lean in slightly, causing him to lean in too.

Our lips touch and sparks fly. I clutch onto his sweatshirt, deepening the kiss.

"I'm sorry I almost made you drown." Cameron whispers and I giggle. "It was a really bad attempt at trying to flirt with you."

"You were trying to flirt with me?" I ask, widening my eyes.

"Well, yeah." He smiles and his cheeks turn a bit pink. "You're beautiful and really fun to be around."

I blush and connect our lips again.

A/N

I hope you enjoyed this imagine!

I just saw that this story has 17k views?! Over seventeen THOUSAND people have read this?! That's crazy! I'm so grateful :-)

Have a good rest of the week!

Sorry for any spelling/ grammar mistakes etc.