ballerina

I complete the last few moves to my solo dance performance, using these last few easy skills to scan the crowd for my boyfriend, Cameron. I end with a final pose, a fake smile spreading across my face.

The song finishes and the crowd roars as I see people stand. I scan the crowd a bit more, desperately trying to search for the person I want to see most in the crowd. The lights black out and my pose falls, along with the fake smile. The realization sets in of no one I truly care about coming to see my career-defining solo performance.

The curtains close and I walk off stage, walking over to my friends from dance.

"Y/N! You did so well!" My dance teacher compliments me and hugs me, as the other girls hug me too.

"Thank you!" I smile.

Everyone faces the stage again to watch the next performance. I sit down on a nearby bench, resting my chin in my palm.

"Y/N, are you okay?" My friend, Allison, asks as she places her hand on my shoulder. I look up at her, trying to blink away the tears that are blurring my vision.

"Yeah!" My voice cracks and I cough, trying to discretely wipe the corner of my eyes, trying not to smudge my makeup. "I'm fine, why wouldn't I be?"

"Cameron didn't come?" She asks quietly. I look up at her and shake my head, another tear falling. Allison frowns, pulling me into a warm hug. "Oh, sweetie... c'mere, it's okay. You just put on an excellent performance! It doesn't matter if he came or not."

"But it does to me." I sniffle as she hands me a tissue. "My parents didn't care enough to come, but I thought I'd at least have Cameron here."

She just hugs me again and helps me calm down. Once I stop crying she fixes up my makeup and the award ceremony starts.

I watch a few girls and teams win their awards, looking out to the crowd again from behind the curtain, trying to see if Cameron really is here.

I still don't see him and I take a shaky breath, rolling my eyes.

"And for the best solo performance of this year's annual competition... Y/N Y/L/N!" The announcer speaks into the microphone and my friends from dance cheer behind me. I walk out on the stage, plastering on that fake smile once again. I hear everyone cheer once again and I think that I hear my boyfriend's familiar cheer but I know that my mind is just playing tricks on me. I thank the man giving out the award and take it, bowing for the crowd.

I thank everyone once more and walk off stage, going into my dressing room.

I check my phone to see if I've gotten any notifications, but my lock screen just shows a blank picture of Cameron and I.

I set my phone down and lean down, putting my pointe shoes and all of my other dance necessities into my duffle bag. I slip on my Ugg boots and right when I sling my bag over my shoulder, I hear a knock at the door.

"Come in." I reply with almost no emotion, straightening up the dressing room.

"Congratulations, babe!" I hear Cameron's voice and I quickly turn around, running over to him. I jump up and wrap my legs around his waist as his hands support my back.

"I thought you forgot to come." I smile into his shoulder.

"Me? Forget? How could I forget one of the biggest competitions of your life?" Cameron gasps.

"Well, my parents decided it wasn't a big deal, I assumed you thought the same." I lean back in his arms and frown.

"Oh babe, no! I'm sorry I couldn't see you before you went on stage, I got here five minutes late because I was getting these flowers." Cameron sets me down and hands me a huge bouquet of beautiful roses. "I was standing in the back the whole time. I was stuffed between an old lady and the wall, but I still got to see you, so it's okay. I told everyone around me how proud I was of you."

"Cam, thank you." I grin and go on my tippy toes, kissing his cheek.

"No problem, cutie." After a few moments of silence, Cam speaks again. "I can't get over how amazing you were. You looked like one of those ballerina dolls in music boxes."

I giggle, thanking him.

"I'm so proud of you, Y/N." my boyfriend smiles at me, squeezing my waist. "I love you."

"I love you too, Cam. Thank you for coming." I hug him again.

"Of course." He kisses the top of my head, swaying our bodies back and forth.

A/N

I hope you guys enjoyed!
Sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes etc.