bet

Cameron's POV
I squeeze Y/N's waist from behind as she sits on my lap, watching the television in front of us.

"You guys are so cute!" Aaron states randomly and smiles, looking between us.

"Yeah, I guess he's okay." Y/N laughs and kisses me on the cheek, looking up into my eyes before turning around again to face the television. Nash begins to speak and she turns her head to look at him.

"Crazy to think that it all started as a bet." Nash shakes his head, smiling, as he eats another chip.

My heart plummets to my stomach and I feel Y/N drop my hand that she was holding. I widen my eyes at Nash and shake my head behind Y/N. He makes eye contact with me and stops chewing when he meets Y/N's eyes.

"What did you just say?" Y/N gets off my lap and stands up. I cringe at the pain and shock in her voice. "Did you just say that I was a bet?"

Nash looks between us.
"Wait, did she not know?" He directs at me, glancing up at Y/N.

I look up at her and hold onto her hand, beginning to speak. She looks down at me with tear filled eyes, her lip quivering.

"Fuck you, Cameron." She yanks her hand from mine and quickly grabs her bag and her sweatshirt, running out of my apartment.

"Shit, bro." Nash looks at me, nothing but pure guilt in his eyes. "I really thought you told her."

All of my friends stare at me, not speaking. I quickly stand, running after Y/N.

I sprint out of my apartment and run down the hallway, deciding to take the stairs rather than the elevator for a better chance of reaching her.

I reach the lobby of my apartment building and I run outside, seeing Y/N get into her car that sits across the parking lot.

I run as fast as my legs will take me, dodging the passing cars.

I finally reach my girlfriend as soon as she shuts her car door.

"Y/N!" I shout her name, placing my hands on her car as I pant. "Baby, roll the window down."

I place my hands over my eyes to shield the sun's glare in order to see inside the car. I see Y/N with tears streaming down her face. I knock on the window and she flips me off, starting the engine.

She rolls the car backwards and I jump back before darting over to her passenger door, which she can't lock fast enough. I climb inside and shut the door as she stops moving the car.

"Get out of my car right now." She sobs, looking at me angrily. I breathe heavily, trying to catch my breath. She scans my face again and furrows her eyebrows before raising her voice, making me flinch. "Get out!"

"Baby, I-" I start to speak and I hold her hand but she cuts me off.

"Don't call me that." She states coldly, looking forward to avoid eye contact. She pulls her hand from me again. "And don't touch me."

"Y/N, I really was going to tell you." I speak softly, ashamed in myself. "I just couldn't find the right time. Every time I tried to bring it up, I just... couldn't get the words out."

"That's a great excuse." She laughs sadly, wiping her cheeks. "It really makes up for the fact that our entire relationship was a joke."

"Our relationship wasn't a joke." I look over at her side profile, considering that she won't look at me.

"Oh, excuse me." She states sarcastically, her teary eyes looking over at me. "It was a bet not a joke."

I stay silent, not knowing what to say.

"You know how awful my high school experience was. I was a complete loser, Cameron. I had no friends at all. And then when you, the most popular boy in school, asked me out, I didn't trust you at first. I thought that you were like the rest of the kids and that you were making fun of me." She speaks with tears pooled in her eyes. "But, to my surprise, you seemed to be a perfect date. You picked me up and took me out, just like you said you would."

I stay silent, knowing that she's not done speaking yet.
"Now we're in our second year of college, still together. You've met my parents. We were planning on moving in together next summer, Cameron." She looks over at me, disappointment and anger in her eyes. "You really took this bet far, didn't you?"

"Our entire relationship wasn't a bet. It was just a bet between the guys and I on who would ask you out." I admit, feeling embarrassed. "But once I went on a date with you, I genuinely liked you. After a short period of time, I genuinely fell in love with you... as I still am in love with you today."

"Is that true?" She asks, still not looking at me.

"I swear on everything I have that this is the full truth. A silly bet turned into something real, Y/N. You can ask anyone. Everyone knows how head over heels in love I am with you." I speak quickly, trying to fix the pain my girlfriend is experiencing.

"I love you too." She speaks softly and sniffles. I reach my hand over and she takes it in her's gently.

"If you still don't believe me, the ring on your finger should help." I grin and she glances down at her finger, smiling slightly. On her finger lays the promise ring that I gave her in our senior year of high school. "Now, would I give you that if I didn't take our relationship seriously?"

"I guess not." She smiles and looks up at me, tears still on her cheeks from earlier. I reach over and wipe them off, holding her face in my hands. I connect our lips hesitantly and she kisses me back, placing her hand on the back of my neck.

A/N
I hope you enjoyed!
Have a good weekend :-)
Sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes etc.