#26 Peggy~Love is Love

You squeeze your fiance's hand as you leader her into your grandparents' house. You cousin immediately jumps up from the couch where her children are and runs over to you to pull you into a hug. "(Y/N)! It's great to see you again! I heard you got engaged! Who's the lucky man?"

You blush and rub your arm. "This is my fiance, Peggy. Peggy, this is my cousin." Your cousin gives you an uncomfortable smile, but give Peggy a hug anyway. She makes small talk before going back to her family. You see her whisper something to her husband, causing him to glance in your direction. You ignore him and lead Peggy to a chair in the corner of the room. You sit down first, then she sits on top of you, resting her head on your shoulder.

"They don't like me," she mumbles.

"It's not that they don't like you. They just don't like us," you reply.

"But-" she starts.

"We just have to make it through today and tomorrow."

She nods slowly. "Okay..."

You sit like that for a little before your grandmother approaches you. "(Y/N). (Y/dad's/N) told us you were engaged! Why didn't you bring him?"

"Oh, uh, Peggy and I are getting married." You twist the ring on your finger.

Your grandmother gasps. "You're gay?!"

"Not exactly."

"Yes, you are. You are getting married to a girl."

"I am getting married to- you know what? It doesn't matter." You sigh.

She is about to continue, but your dad comes over and saves you. "Mom, I think (Y/cousin's/N) needed some help with her kids."

Peggy smiles and greets your dad. He is by far the most liberal person you know.

You hug him. "Thank you so much!"

"Hopefully, she'll leave you alone. It's great to see you again, Peggy."

"It's great to see you, too."

Your dad asks if you were brave enough to stay for gifts.

"Ehh, we'll see," you respond.

Dinner goes by smoothly. There are a few homophobic comments, but nothing more than you experience daily. Your cousins all chipped in to buy you and Peggy a fancy coffee maker. You couldn't be more grateful. Although, they seemed uncomfortable that they were giving it to a "lesbian" couple.

As soon as you get back to your hotel room, Peggy collapses into your arms and sobs. "I'm sorry. I wish they liked me. I just-I just-"

You bring her over to the bed and lay down with her on top of you. "Shh, baby girl, don't worry. It's okay. It's okay."

She looks up at you with watery eyes. "You deserve so much better. Your family-"

"Peggy, I couldn't get someone better than you because there is no one better than you. I love you with all that I am. I don't care what anyone else thinks of us. Yes, I care about them, but if they don't support us, then they can deal. I don't need their stamp of approval for who I love. And I love you. So fucking much."

She smiles and sniffles. "I love you, too."

You kiss her forehead, before wrapping your arms around her. She snuggles into your chest and falls asleep.