#50 Lin~Usnavi, You Forgot Your Hat

Smut!

2008

You laugh with a few of your cast members as you prepare for the Tonys. Your musical was nominated in most categories. You couldn't be happier. It wasn't your first nomination, so you weren't as nervous as before. This was, however, your first time being nominated with a musical you admire, In the Heights. You had seen the show about twenty times; every chance you got, you were at the theater. You loved the story; it was so incredibly written. You could only dream of writing something like that.

You stand with your cast, watching the In the Heights company perform. One of the other leads nudges your shoulder. "What's it like to be nominated against the love of your life?"

You roll your eyes and playfully punch her arm. "Oh, shut up."

She rolls her eyes. "You've seen his show more times than your own!"

One of the stage managers comes out and tells you to switch casts. You help clean up, while the previous cast leaves. You bend over to pick up your favorite show prop. "Usnavi," you call, causing Lin-Manuel Miranda to turn around, "you forgot your hat."

He runs over and grabs the famed hat. "Thank you so much! Good luck tonight."

You smile. "Thanks. You, too."

He stands there for a moment with the hat in his hands.

"(Y/N)!" someone yells.

Lin awkwardly says that he should probably let you rehearse.

"Yeah, yeah, see you at the afterparty?"

"See you then," he confirms.

"(Y/N)!" they say with more force.

You give Lin an awkward wave and walk to the stage.

Lin's POV

"I'd better go." She smiles.

"Oh, yeah, see you later." I play with the hat in my hands. She gives me a quick wave before going over to her cast. I walk back to Chris who raises his eyebrows.

"What?" I ask, putting my hat back on.

"She's totally into you!"

I shake my head. "She's way out of my league."

"I know!" he exclaims. "That's why it's so remarkable."

"Lin!" Karen calls, saving me from whatever Chris was going to say next.

Your POV

It feels as though you and Lin had the only two musicals nominated. You can't help but cheer when he goes up to accept the award for best musical. After the show, you are constantly stopped for interviews.

"You and Lin-Manuel Miranda were both nominated for almost everything. How did it feel to go up against one of your favorite musicals?"

You chuckle. "There's no one I would rather lose to."

You smile when you see Lin with a drink you can't seem to recognize. "Congrats," you greet.

He smiles and sits next to you. "Oh, thanks, you, too."

You make small talk for a while before he asks for your number and hands you a pen.

You shake your head. "Give me your phone."

"Okay?"

"If you're anything like me," you explain, "the only way to enjoy these things is getting shitfaced drunk." You hand him his phone and walk away, grabbing a Jello-shot as you pass the bartender.