#46 Philip~He Obfuscates

Requested by zelinah_writes

"Yes, father, I'm fine," you say into the phone.

"I'm just worried about you, (Y/N)," he responds.

You hold the phone between your head and shoulder as you start to unpack one of your boxes. "Relax, dad. I'm fine. Really."

"I'm just scared that you're out there now. I can't protect you anymore."

You sigh. "I'm not far from home. I'll come home if I need anything."

"Alright. Love you."

"Love you, too."

You hang up the phone and set it on the counter. "Well," you ask turning to your boyfriend, "are you just going to stand there or help me?"

He laughs and crosses his arms. "You seem to be doing just fine on your own."

You roll your eyes. "Fuck you."

"Well, if you say so-"

You hold up a finger. "Uh-uh. Not until these boxes are unpacked."

He raises his eyebrows. "So, is that a yes?"

"Philip," you warn.

He mutters a quick apology before helping you unpack.

~~~

Almost four months after moving out, your boyfriend moved in. You didn't mind, though. You were both old enough to make your own decisions, and you have been dating for about two years. Your dad never knew about your relationship. Neither did Philip's parents.You fathers were self-proclaimed enemies. Everyone knew that. The two of you figured that it would be best if you kept your relationship a secret. Now that you were living together and even considering marriage, you knew that you had to tell them, but the more you thought about it, the worse the idea seemed. Not only were they going to be mad that you were dating, but you had been dating for years without telling them.

You sit on the couch with your legs swung over one side while your head rests on Philip's chest as you both shovel Chinese food in your mouth and watch a shitty, direct-to-DVD movie.

"Oh, I needed to tell you: my parents want to meet you," he suddenly says.

You sit up. "What?!"

"I'm sorry. My dad was asking when he could meet you, and I said that you were really busy, and he said that he would be willing to take the time off, which is amazing because every time my mom tries, she doesn't even get him to open the door."

You take a deep breath. "When?"

"Next week?"

You lay back down on him. "Alright."

He kisses your head. "Thank you. I love you."

"Love you, too."

~~~

You stand outside Philip's childhood home. "Philip, I'm nervous."

He fumbles in his pocket for a key. "Relax, (Y/N). My mom will love you."

"And your dad?"

He unlocks and opens the door. "Mom, Pops!"

"You never-" you start, but Mrs. Hamilton rushes over to hug her son. "Philip! It's great to see you again! How have you been? How's college?"

He chuckles. "I'm fine, ma. Everything is fine. This is my girlfriend, (Y/N)." You take note of how he didn't mention your last name.

She smiles and engulfs you in the same bone-crushing hug.

You smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Hamilton."

"Please, call me Eliza. Mrs. Hamilton makes me feel so old." She starts to lead you to the living room where Secretary Hamilton is furiously typing at a laptop, only taking a break when he hears his son enter the room. "Philip!" He exclaims before turning his attention to you. He pauses when he sees you. "Ms. Burr," he greets through clenched teeth. "Philip, can I speak to you for a minute?"

You give Philip a pleading look and squeeze his hand. "Yeah, Pop."

You watch as the two men walk into Secretary Hamilton's office. They shut the door. You try not to cry because of the muffled yelling. "(Y/N), dear, would you mind helping me in the kitchen?" Eliza asks.

You have never been more grateful to cook.

~~~

You sit between Philip and his eldest sister, while Secretary Hamilton sits at the head of the table. They stare daggers at each other, while Eliza, bless her heart, tries to make civil conversation with you. "What are you majoring in?"

"Um, I'm still undecided actually. I've been looking into the science field," you answer.

Secretary Hamilton scoffs, but you ignore him.

"(Y/N/N)'s actually been taking a bunch of classes. Once she chooses a major, she can graduate," Philip interjects.

His father laughs. "Typical Burr, can't decide on anything."

"I'm sorry, Secretary Hamilton, but I haven't decided on a major because this is what is going to dictate the rest of my life. I don't have the money, time, or energy to go into a field that I don't like."

He rolls his eyes. "I'm sure your father has the money."

"I am capable of providing for myself. I don't rely on my father for everything."

"Until someone comes along and says they will."

"Alexander," Eliza scolds, "you're being childish."

He leans back in his chair. "Why, I'm just trying to get to know our guest better. She's just like her father, though."

You laugh and lean closer to him. "I am my own person."

"Without believes."

You stand up. "I cannot believe you would say something like that! I have never agreed with my father's so-called 'beliefs'. I am capable of forming my own thoughts."

"(Y/N), please," Philip pleads.

You and Alexander both ignore him. Secretary Hamilton stands up and bangs his fist on the table. "Oh really? I'm sure you've adopted Jefferson's system of thought. 'If it's different from me, then it must die.'?"

"No, I believe that every person, no matter what should be treated as a person, something I think you also believe."

You can tell he's taken a bit off guard, but that doesn't stop him. In the midst of the argument, you don't notice Eliza ushering the children out of the room with Philip. You only notice that you're alone when Secretary Hamilton stops yelling.

"What? Cat got your tongue?" you ask.

He shakes his head. "You're nothing like him."

"You're just now realizing this?"

"Welcome to the family. I'm sorry we got off to a rocky start."

You nod and smile. "Thank you."

~~~

Your boyfriend laughs, while you tell him what happened. "I knew they would like you."

"Now you just have to meet my dad," you joke, causing his face to go pale. 

(A/N: Finally! Something long and hopefully good)