Chapter 32 - A bird does not sing because it has an answer

Another fluff! Is Nijimura OOC here? I tried to keep him in character, but it's probably off... And anyone notices how the title of every chapters is a reference to a quote? How about the title of this chapter? Anyone know its continuation?

Pairings : Undecided
Warnings : Teikō Middle School Days.
Disclaimer : I own only the OCs.

———————————————————
Chapter 32 - A bird does not sing because it has an answer

The vicinity around the school building was nearly desolated, as club activities were held within the confines of buildings throughout the school ground and those students who didn't have any on the day, had left when the bell signalled the time to go.

The soft afternoon glow casted a shadow on the two teens getting ready to head home and the quiet atmosphere really helped creating the mood, a somewhat melancholic one, as they stood side-by-side with a distance enough to consider them as close acquaintances, but not exactly friends.

If it wasn't hard to question his presence before, it was now.

The brunette hesitated and it showed in her gestures; her flitting gaze, shifting between him and the ground, as well as her fidgeting toes against the surface.

"U-Uh, Nijimura-san? Are you... skipping practice today?" her voice came out in a whisper, as if she was afraid he would hear her.

While not comparable to a master, Yume wasn't a bad judge of character and she could tell the kind of individual one was. It told her, that he wasn't the type of person he appeared to be at the moment and she held firmly to her belief for it rarely failed her.

What she wasn't sure of, was if it was okay for her to pry. Because his 'good' reason, might be personal and thus should be respected and left alone.

The reaction she received was spontaneous and partly predictable, a tiny teasing smirk. "I asked for permission, I'm going for a hospital visit today." he explained, taking the first step out of school area.

The unexpected was the somewhat pensive air surrounding his playful smirk. That seemed to be her cue to stop advancing said topic and she quietly followed after him, muttering a low, "I see." before falling in steps with him by his side. She just felt like it wasn't her place to ask further, because they weren't close enough to tell each other of personal problems.

Nijimura didn't seem to be on the same wavelength as he spoke in a teasing, nonchalant, tone next. "You're not going to ask me?" he asked.

This flustered the brunette, and she nearly missed a step. She wasn't the clumsy one who would trip over her own feet! No, not her.

"W-Who are you visiting?" she stammered, still recovering from the fact that she could have possibly embarrassed herself by falling over.

In hindsight, she probably should have worded her question better for it was a sensitive matter and she knew it. But the thoughts of almost embarrassing herself clouded her momentary judgement. And if her mind was clear then, perhaps she wouldn't even comply to his teasing and asked like he nudged her to. Because it really wasn't her place to know.

"My father..." the ravenette answered, his teasing gone, only a somber tone.

Whatever was on her mind was harshly shoved out of the window at his reply, she mentally chided herself for being too distracted over herself when she should be paying more attention to her response to what her senpai had to say. She honestly felt bad for asking. Insensitivity was again, Aomine's job, not hers.