Chapter 43.5 - Dreams of Life: Between Ō and Gin for Gyoku

Has it been a year since the last update? Anyway, to revive my motivation for this fanfic, I need to re-read all the chapters, and when I did, I discovered a possibility that I just have to write about, and here it is!

There are some hints as to what will happen in DoL that has yet to happen, there will be some changes in the actual DoL since I have yet to write the chapters, but it should be close. Do enjoy!

Pairings : AkashixYumexNijimura
Warnings : DoL Universe!
Disclaimer : I own only the OCs.

-------------------
Chapter 43.5 - Dreams of Life: Between Ō and Gin for Gyoku

Rakuzan High, Kyoto.

The soft click-clack of the shōgi pieces and the wooden board has always been Akashi Seijūrō's favourite. It is one of those rare instances where his mind is at peace, without those familiar pressures pressing down on his shoulders. His smooth fingers are holding on to the gyoku, caressing it between his index finger and his thumb as his mind wanders away, to a time of what once was.

It has been six months since the decisive match between Rakuzan High and Seirin High in the Winter Cup, a match, which he, Akashi Seijūrō, lost.

A defeat, the redhead feels his lips curling in a mocking manner. That, was a word he has never thought of associating himself with. Not until that final match.

In shōgi, Akashi Seijūrō has always taken the ō, it is the one shōgi piece he tends to bring with his person. Even back in his middle-school years in Teikō, against Midorima, he has naturally taken the ō and the greenhead never did complain, even if the latter always did have that imperceptible frown.

There is just one time, when a certain brunette asks why he never considers taking gyoku for once instead of ō. He had smiled at her then. He remembered replying that ō is just natural to him, in a way the gyoku is not.

Even then, the concept of defeat had always been so far from him. It simply didn't exist. Not for him, the sole heir to Akashi Corporation, not to Akashi Seijūrō.

Ō is the representation of his mental state at that time.

"I think I like gyoku more. That means I have rooms for improvements, I like what it represents better," the brunette smiles, the delicate quirk of her lips softens her features even more.

Remembering her words from when they were second years, Akashi can't help the quirk in his own lips to form a familiar smirk. At the time when the Winter Cup had begun, Rakuzan High is certainly the ō in the board while Seirin High is the gyoku. That is probably why that insufferable girl chose to go to Seirin High despite his initial arrangements for her to attend Rakuzan High.

Years of education provided only by the best and pressured to be so, Akashi has long had perfected a method to foresee the most favourable outcomes and which path is best to take to achieve the expected result. It is probably one of the main reasons why he didn't believe himself capable of defeat, nor of making mistakes.

"Um, Akashi-kun? If...If we added Kuroko-kun to the team, I think the team can be much more versatile..."

"I-It will taste better with seaweed! Uh...p-please?"