12

The Girl With Six Marks
The Battle of New York City
Chapter 12

S.H.I.E.L.D Headquarters

Nick Fury looks at the group of people in front of him. He reads their expressions of guilt, sadness, and regret at the loss of Agent Jones.

Deciding that he's had enough and that time was being wasted, he came to terms that he needed to be honest with his newly formed team. He slams down a folder, containing a bunch of files of everyone in the room. Tony looks at them. "What is that?"

Nick reaches up and scratches the scruff that had begun to grow on his chin. "Prior to Loki's arrival, I decided that this world needed a protector, a group of individuals that would come together in the time of need. They would be called the Avengers."

Steve reaches out and spread out each paper, a complete file of everything to know about each person. "Agent Romanoff and Barton were the first to consider. Loyal and hardworking agents skilled beautifully in their respectful fields. Dr. Banner had been considered if we had a means to control him. Captain, you are the best to lead the avengers with your leadership and morality. And Stark," He turns to him. "You have always had a place here. But when the news broke out that you had a mate, I knew we wouldn't be seeing you around much. So I looked into Agent Jones."

He pulls one last paper out of his coat pocket. He places it down and everyone looks to see that it was the file of their mate. A beautiful picture of her in her old army uniform. Steve could feel his chest fill with pride. Fury continues, "After investigating deeper into Jones, I discovered in her Army medical exam that she had been documented in having six marks. Six soulmates, nearly unheard of." He looks into each of their eyes. "Our lab had recently came up with the technology to take DNA from a person, and match it to their soulmate from our database of almost everyone in the world. After extracting a sample from Jones, we were able to discover who her soulmates were, except one." He looked at Thor. "Since you are not of our world, we couldn't detect you."

Everyone was silent, staring at the man in front of them, stunned.

Natasha was to first to speak, angry. "Wait, so you're telling me you knew she was our soulmate this whole time?"

Fury glances at her. "You've been running solo for years, do you really think I would assigned you a partner randomly?"

Tony could feel his anger returning. "So you hired her, not because of her skills. But because she would bring us together?" He threw his hands up in the air. "That's fucked up!"

Steven crosses his arms, "For once, I agree with Stark."

"The security of our world was my main focus. I was going to take the time to introduce you all slowly, but since the arrival of Loki, the process had been sped up," he explains.

Thor, who had remained quiet finally pipes up. "Why tell us this now?"

"I have seen you guys argue, stepping on each other's toes and then deflating in defeat. Jones needs you now. Instead of fighting over her, it's time to come together and focus on what is most important here. Saving our world. Don't you see? You were brought together for a purpose."

"You brought us here," Tony reminds him.

"No, I only helped. But Alyanna is the reason you are all together. She is the life source of the soulmate bond. You could say it was fate," he concludes, an encouraging smile gracing his face.

They look around to each other, he was right. Regardless of how they were brought together, they all shared a similarity. Their hearts belonged to the same girl, the girl with six marks. They needed to be united as not only a team, but a family as well.