Chapter 45 - Hope You Don't Go Bald

Had to share that with somebody. Then I thought, why not you?

Absolute horror.

That, and pure shock. Heartbreak was present there too.

What would you do if an average-looking, but quite rich, stranger rings the doorbell and announces that he's your husband, when you're sharing your first kiss with your boyfriend?

That's exactly what happened.

It's been two months since we started dating, and we're definitely taking this slow. We couldn't, more like I couldn't, build up the courage to tell Cass about it, so that matter is still at hand. I tried doing that once, but it wasn't quite a success.

"Hey, Cass, there's something important, actually really very important, I need to tell you like right now," I said, my heart clenching in fear. How would she react? Would she break all ties with me?

"Okay. Tell," she answered as she cracked an egg on pan which was kept on an induction stove.

"I," I began, pausing to convince myself that this is necessary. "I like somebody."

That's a start.

She paused from making an omelette and looked at me, right in the eye.

"You like somebody," she said, slowly. "Like, like like? You know, romantic like or favourite food kinda like?"

Hah, imagine if Ashford was a type of food.

"The- the romantic," I replied. "Definitely romantic. I might even love him."

Fuck my life. I just had to add that piece of information, didn't I? Stupid, pathetic Jessica.

"Love him," she repeated, analysing me with her eyes. "Jess, you sure?"

"No, I mean, I might," I paused, looking for the right words. "Let's just forget I said that."

"We can't just forget it," she argued. "I mean, there's someone, some guy out there whom you might love and even marry someday. Jess, that's big."

"It ain't no big deal," I said, but even to me, my voice sounded unconvincing.

"Well, love takes time, we both know you don't believe in love at first sight," she continued with the omelette. "I'm sure you must've known 'him' for quite a while."

I didn't say anything, just tried to figure out where she was going with this.

"I guess you're telling me about him now because you didn't want to earlier," she shrugged. "You wanted to keep him a secret, I don't know why. Whatever happens, whatever your reasons are, just be careful. You never know when this 'love' will bite you back and leave you...empty."

She looked at me with a sad smile.

"Trust me, Ashford did exactly that."

And I knew at that moment that it wasn't the right time to tell her the truth.

Nevertheless, today, when Cass had gone to work, and I had received a holiday from work due to construction work taking place at the hospital, I planned on enjoying a little.