Chapter 49 - Brilliant Job, Daniel. Brilliant

"I'll pick you up at the liquor store,
Hurry up, we can fit one more.
It's now or never."

"Jess, I can't take anymore leaves," Asher sighed, exasperated. "We've been doing this for days now."

"You think I want this?" I snapped, feeling more tired than ever. "It's been hard on me too, if you have the patience to notice that."

The past few days had been hectic to say the least. Daniel, or as I now like to refer him as, 'Personal space invader', did tell me to think on whether I wanted to live as his trophy wife (hell no) and that he'll be back to hear my answer, but forgot to specify the date or the year or anything, actually. I suppose he expected us to just sit around and wait for oh-my-majesty's arrival.

And of course, that's exactly what we've been doing, without including Cass, of course.

As for Cass, things have been tough. Earlier, we were those friends who were inseparable and giggled all the time. Now, being in the same room with Cass allows me to see this invisible tension hovering around us. This strained relationship between us is slowly killing me, but I still insist on not burdening her with my issues. She already has a lot on her plate with her mother's illness. So, yeah, until I get rid of Daniel, our relationship is basically fucked up.

And now, even Asher was pissed with me.

I just rock at screwing up my relations, don't I?

"I understand," Asher said, calmly. "But I have a job to maintain, rents and bills to pay and no time to just sit around waiting for some bastard."

"As a matter of fact, Ashford, I have a job to maintain as well. Rents and bills too," I answered with a menacing look. "But I have reasons to believe that my matrimonial status is far more important since it will decide my future."

Asher just sighed, like he does every time we have this conversation. That sigh basically means that he's too tired to carry on with this conversation.

Daniel's arrival not only affected mine and Cass's years old relationship, but also my newly made relationship with the guy I have come to like. Asher's been upset about missing his job to just sit around and wait. I had to insist that he stays since I don't-I can't face him alone. I know I'm being selfish, but no one can blame me for being scared of a millionaire who claims his rights over me. Who can use violence against me and I will be able to do absolutely nothing.

So, yeah, our relationship is fucked up as well.

Brilliant job, Daniel. Brilliant.

Just then Asher's phone started ringing. He picked it up and walked over to the end of the hall.

"Yes?"

"I know, I sincerely apologise."

"I shall finish those by tomorrow."

"Sir, please. Just another day-"

A lot of shouting could be heard on the other end.

"Okay. Okay. Tonight."

With that he ended the conversation and sighed again. He then took a quick glance at me and walked towards the front door.

"So done with this shit," he muttered and opened the door.

And guess who he found waiting outside.