Chapter 52 - Asher's POV

The song just makes me feel something, you know?
Don't know what though.

"Wait just a moment sir while I connect your call," the polite secretary from what I understood said.

And put me on hold without bothering for my reply. Huh, I guess politeness doesn't go too far these days.

Just then, a deep, male voice could be heard. "Hello?"

"Uh, hello, Mr...Parkins?" I asked, checking the name on his webpage twice before speaking.

"Yes, how may I help you?"

"Yes, I actually needed to file a lawsuit-"

"Against?"

Someone's impatient.

"Against Mr.Daniel Winston-"

"The CEO of Empereus?"

It's funny how everyone seems to know that.

"Yes, precisely."

A few moments of silence.

"Are-are you sure?"

Have I, in any form, implied I'm unsure?

"Affirmative," I answer, annoyed at his reaction.

More annoyed by the fact that every lawyer I had called since morning had pretty much the same reaction. Even further annoyed by the fact that I know what his next words will be because each one of them said the exact same thing.

"I see. I've got some business to attend to as of now, Mr.Miller, but I'll be getting in contact with you soon."

This was it. The last fucking straw.

"So you're chickening out too, huh? Guess you just lack the balls to even try to face that millionaire," I start, anger fuelling words. "Since when did a person's bank balance start determining who the fuck will you fight against in a court? I'll pay you all you want!"

"Mr.Miller, I'm afraid I'll have to end the call."

With that, the line clicked dead.

He didn't even bother denying the fact that Daniel's name practically made him wet his pants.

"Oh no," I yell into the phone despite knowing there's no one else listening on the other end. "You're not afraid to end the call, you're afraid to do your fucking job right! You pathetic excuse of a lawyer. It's not just you, but every damn lawyer in this fucked up town!"

I know yelling to nobody is a pointless waste of energy, but I couldn't stop.

"How could so many mature adults be such wussies? It's your goddamn job! And I'm a fucking customer asking for something you're being paid to do! Just because the guy's loaded doesn't mean we're gonna die. Fucking bastards!"

By the end of my little speech, I was gasping for breath. My anger, however, had not yet subsided. I was about to continue my tantrum but was interrupted.

"Sounds like no one's willing to fight against my lawyers," Daniel's cool voice cut through the momentary silence. "I knew I was scary, but not this scary."

I had been so caught up in my little dramatic performance that I didn't notice the front door being opened and someone entering my house. I turn around to look at the rascal smirking. He was in his usual outfit, a classy businessman suit with his hair gelled back.