Chapter 51 - Officially Most Important Person In This Wicked World

Song's pretty close to Jess's situation.

"It's just a public statement," Daniel explains. "But it means a lot. Of course, I'll be making the official statement but you may have to answer a few questions. Just don't get jittery, okay?"

I scowl in response.

He sighs and goes back to looking out the window as we ride in his Lamborghini something. Frankly, I don't care about it. I don't care about this shitty interview or his shitty reputation.

I care about Asher. I care about Cass. I care for my future.

But not him. Never him.

"Look, I know you're angry. And probably think that I'm a jerk-"

"Got that right," I mutter, interrupting him.

"I deserved that. But this is really important. And I need you to act like, well, like we love each other."

I grimace at the very thought, not sure how I'll be able to pull that off in front of the cameras.

Acting's just not my forte.

"I deserved that too. And I know that with the media, it's hard to maintain your composure," he continued. "So, I need you to co-operate with me here. I'll try my best to direct all the questions at me, answer them unless they specifically ask you."

"Whatever," I mutter, staring at the window, watching the cars pass us by.

I felt his stare at me for a while before he turned away.

I look at the red dress that I've got on. Supposedly, you can appear in front of the media in 'average' clothes when you're the 'wife' of someone as 'important' as him.

I didn't want to wear it. Not when I've done nothing but cry for the past few hours. Not when I'm forced to live with him.

But he managed to convince me. I'm not entirely sure how, but he did.

I didn't want anything revealing, so I went for something simple. It's a red gown that screams the term 'elegance' and covers all the necessary parts, unlike the other dresses suggested by the designer.

It's pretty, it suits me, it's just not the right time.

"We're here," Daniel says. "Let me get out and open up the door for you."

In response, I looked away. He sighed, before getting out. It wasn't long before the door for me was opened and he offered me his hand. I took it, partly because of the media and partly because this dress is big and poofy.

Up till now, I hadn't thought about what I'm actually gonna do in front of the cameras.
But now, with all that light flashing in my face and those people already at it with their questions, I felt jittery.

Okay, I give him that. He predicted it.

I gulped, not knowing what to do. Maybe I should've paid attention during his lecture.

Daniel must've sensed that I'm bound to make a fool of myself any moment and took my hand in his.

"It's okay," he whispered, squeezing my hand.