Epilogue (Part 2)

The song up there suits this part more than I thought it did.

Watching the untouched cup of coffee getting colder by the second was something I had been doing for the past fifteen seconds to avoid the heavy, awkward silence that had settled between us.

It's not that we've got nothing to say to each other, it's that there's too much and we both know that there's no time.

Asher, on the other hand, looks nervous, tapping his foot. It seems as if he's searching for the right words to excuse his disappearance.

"So," Asher says abruptly, cutting the silence. "How's...everything?"

That's a very broad question. Everything includes so much. My novels? Oh, they're selling wonderfully. Amanda? She's great. Relationship with Ashford? Well, that sucks.

"Good," I answer curtly.

"So...you're officially with Daniel?" He asks, hesitant. "Married him legally and all?"

He has no rights to enquire about my personal life. He lost them when he left me.

"Cut this bullshit," I say, my voice eerily calm to even myself. "Get to the point."

"Right," he mutters. "Of course. I mustn't waste anymore time."

He really shouldn't. With each second that passes with me being so close to him, I lose a little more control over myself. Any moment now, I may lash out on him.

"You remember? That day you came over to my house in that dazzling red gown and found me all drunk?" He asks.

Crystal clear. Every moment I have spent with him is imprinted into my brain. These are memories that can't be forgotten.

"Yes," I respond quietly, also recalling how he confessed his love to me and to be with me forever that very fateful day.

"Well, the day after that I had started looking for lawyers, as we planned," he continues. "And then Daniel decides to make a visit."

He pauses, glancing at me, expecting me to be astonished maybe. But I know this. Daniel filled me in till this part. I keep my expression neutral and blank.

"He offers me a deal," he continues. "Told me to stay away from you in exchange for..."

What the fuck? Why would he stop there?

He gulps and then looks me in the eye, allowing me to see his blue eyes filled with guilt.

"For her address."

Am I missing something? Am I supposed to magically know who's 'her'? What the fuck does he take me for? A telepath?

"Her?" I asked, failing to conceal my annoyance. He flinched just so slightly at my sharp tone and for unknown reasons, that felt good.

Now, I'm not looking for revenge. I'm no villain. I merely want him to experience what he put me through, despite knowing what I already had been through. It's people like him that disgust me. It's people who betray.

"Alyssa," he mutters so softly that for a second I think he never said it at all.

Familiar name, but doesn't ring any bells. I rack my brain for any clue as to who that could possibly be, but I can't help but feel a pang in my chest. He left me all alone with that monster back then for some stupid address?