George Warleggan x reader

Note: The main character in this is named Millicent - just in case it's not obvious :)

I walked around to the side of the house to help Ross with the horses, my hair whipping in the wind as I trudged through the wet grass. Ever since our father had died, I was one of the only people Ross had to help him with the estate besides Prudie and Jud. And Demelza of course but with the baby coming, she couldn't be of much help either. I smiled at the thought of Demelza. I was over-joyed when Ross and Demelza had married. I liked her much better than Elizabeth who thought so highly of herself.

Demelza was different though and possessed none of the horrible qualities that Elizabeth did. And for that I was thankful. She had brought my brother so much happiness of which I knew he desperately needed.

I walked over to my brother and picked up the brushes, handing him one. He smiled at me in thanks and I began to brush the horse's chestnut-colored mane.

"Ross! Ross!"

Ross and I turned our heads to see who was calling and saw Demelza standing in the doorway.

"Coming!" Ross shouted back to her, laying down his brush on the ground, "Can you manage on your own for a bit?"

"Of course, go help Demelza." I said, continuing to run my brush through the horse's hair.

I started to sing to pass the time as I waited on Ross to come back to help me.

"Alas, my love, you do me wrong to cast me off discourteously. And I have loved you oh so long, delighting in your company. Greensleeves was all my joy, greensleeves was my delight, greensleeves was my heart of gold. And who but my lady Greensleeves...."

I was so absorbed in the song that I didn't even hear someone walk up behind me.

"That was very beautiful," a soft masculine voice spoke up.

I jumped at the sound, dropping the brush onto the ground in the process. I spun around and rolled my eyes when I saw how it was. George Warleggan. Great, just the person I wanted to see, I thought sarcastically.

I picked up the brush from where it had fallen and resumed what I was doing.

"What do you want, George?" I asked, a hint of annoyance evident in my voice.

George tsk-ed from behind me.

"Is that any way to treat a friend?" he asked, moving to stand beside me.

"Oh, you think of us as friends, do you? After everything you've put Ross through with the mines, you really think I would consider you a friend?"

"Why wouldn't you? We've known each other long enough,"

I laughed humorlessly.

"Just because I know you, doesn't mean I'm your friend, George." I said as I threw the brush down and turned to him.

"Doesn't it?" he asked soflty as he leaned closer to me.

I sucked in a breath as his piercing blue eyes looked into my dark brown ones. I scoffed and forcefully shoved him away from me.

"Nothing you say will change my mind on the matter and that's the end of it," I said, as I began to hoist myself up onto the horse.

George shook his head at me, crossing his arms.

"You're acting childish-" he started.

Suddenly, I lost my footing and missed the stirrup on the saddle. As I started to fall, I braced myself for the impact of the hard ground....but it never came. Instead I opened my eyes to George's deep blue ones. They were like an ocean - serene, calm, and placid... eyes you could get lost in if you looked long enough. I admit, I had never really looked at him this closely before. I had never noticed how perfect he truly was.....