Troy Bolton x reader [1] [Pt. 2]

I took in a deep breath as I smoothed out my dress, the blue satin material silky to the touch. People milled around the refreshment table as others danced close to their partners in the middle of the dance floor.

This was it, the last dance at East High. Gosh, I can't believe our time here was nearly over. Feels like just yesterday.

"-don't you dare upstage me tonight, Ry. You know how hard it is to get a Gucci dress like this one - my fingers were literally so sore from swiping credit cards. Oh, and baby sis, be a dear and- Hey! Are you even listening?!"

Suddenly, pink manicured fingers were being snapped in front of my face. Scrunching up my nose, I pushed Sharpay's hand away.

"Yes! I was listening, okay?" I rolled my eyes at her behavior, sharing a knowing glance with my brother.

I loved my sister but sometimes she really did get on my last nerve. I knew she got on Ryan's too at times although he'd never admit it. He was too much of a sweetheart for that. Well...apart from that one time. I glanced over at his outfit then, a hot pink tie and cuffs paired with a black tux and baby pink shoes. Grinning, I almost laughed but covered it so Sharpay wouldn't see. He seriously was stealing her thunder tonight.

As the twins wandered off to their respective dates, I walked over to the refreshment table. Popping a mini-kabob into my mouth, I eyed the other dancers as I stood alone. Okay, yes, so it was true. I didn't have a date tonight and no, I wasn't busy either. I had lied to Troy. At the time though, it felt easier than telling the truth and having to hear him give up his plans - again - just so that I didn't have to come by myself.

That was fine when we were younger, it didn't matter so much. But the older I got, the harder that I fell for him...well, suddenly, pity "dates" such as that had become harder and harder to swallow. I kept feeling like I was weighing him down, keeping him from doing what he wanted. It was probably why he hadn't told me who he was going with. I knew he'd likely gone to Stanford to go get Gabriella. I told myself that I'd be fine with that but...truthfully? Just the idea of...of having to see him walk through those doors with her on his arm tore me up inside.

But as it turns out, I didn't have to worry about that. Because two seconds later, just as I'd glanced up from yet another quiche from the silver platters decked out on the table, my eyes locked on ocean-blue and I sucked in a breath. Almost choked on my food while doing so too so you know just how big of a moment that was. But what surprised me most was not seeing him show up but...seeing him show up...alone.

Where was Gabriella? Or more over, where was his date? Didn't he...didn't he come with one?

He proceeded to walk towards me then and I felt lightheaded as I raked him up and down with my gaze. Gosh, he looked amazing. One thing was for certain - the boy could WORK a tux like no other. I almost felt...inferior as he finally came to a stop in front of me. My face going red, I glanced down at my baby blue mini-dress, the one I had picked because it reminded me so much of Troy's eyes.

I cleared my throat then after a beat of silence and glanced upward, catching his gaze, "So...where's Gabriella?"

His eyes stayed locked on mine as he slowly replied, "In Stanford. Didn't you know?"

I rolled my eyes as a smirk formed on his face, "I meant, why didn't you bring her? I thought...I mean, I kind of assumed that-"

"-that we would come together?" he shook his head then, strands of sandy-brown hair falling across his forehead as he did. I had to stop myself from pushing it back.

Troy hand brushed mine then. It was a butterfly touch, the kind that was barely skin against skin but...but enough to get your heart racing faster.

He glanced up at me then, "May I have this dance?"

I sucked in a sharp breath and smiled despite myself, nodding to him silently as he led me to the dance floor. One thing I had always known about Troy Bolton - the boy could dance. Basketball? Singing? Sure, everyone knew about those. But dancing...it was one thing he never really let anyone know. And he was amazing at it. Or maybe...maybe it was just the fact I was so smitten by HIM that I thought so.

I felt his hand go to the small of my back then as his arm wrapped around me, my own hand resting on his shoulder. Soft music emanated from the speakers and we began to sway to the beat, the closeness of our bodies making it hard to breathe.

"I, um...I didn't come with Gabriella because..." Troy spoke up then, trailing off briefly before taking a breath, "Because I don't have feelings for her anymore,"

"Wait...what? But I thought that-that you two were...well, that you would get back together. Isn't that always how the story goes?" I joked, my tone light but inside I was fighting so hard to not get my hopes up.

Suddenly, Troy did something that surprised me. With a gentleness that had never been between us before, his hand cupped my cheek. I could feel the calluses on his fingers from all the sports he played but it was a sweet caress, a familiar touch.

"I decide how my story goes. And I decided..." he said softly, his face closer to mine now as I suddenly realized we had stopped dancing, standing suspended in the middle of the floor, "...I choose you."

It was like everything stopped then, frozen in time as my eyes widened at my best friend of the past six years. He...he...chose me?

He swallowed hard then, the words evidently hard for him to say.

"I realized something today, something I never had before. It was always there between us but I...I guess I was just too caught up in basketball and all the plays that I failed to see it till now,"

From this close, I could see every shade of blue in his ocean-colored gaze. But it was his next words that made me weak in the knees.

"Because the truth is that I've always loved you."

I felt my feet go out from under me then as if my legs were made of jelly. But I didn't even hit the floor before I felt strong arms holding me up, my body pulled flush against the warmth of another. With a gentle touch, he tilted my chin up to meet his gaze and with no preamble at all, our lips met in the middle.

You know in fairy tales how girls say they felt sparks when they first kissed him? That it was like they were the only two people in the universe?

I used to be in the other bracket of girls, the ones that would scoff and say that stuff was made up - it could never happen.

But with Troy Bolton?

Gosh...I felt it all. I felt it all and so much more as I tangled my fingers into his brown hair, barely taking a pause to breathe as I kissed him over and over, not caring that the student body was likely gawking by now. Troy Bolton and his best friend, that Evans girl. Who knew?

None of that mattered though. The only thing that did in that moment, that moment that felt like eternity in the most blissful way, was that he loved me.

Troy loved me.

Note: Think I hit my own self in the feels with this one, whoops :P Also, on a side note, was I the only one who shipped Troy and Sharpay in those movies as a kid or...?? No? Just me? Okay then, well, on to the next one shot, I guess lol