Edmund Pevensie x reader

My knuckles rapped on the white door of the small house on Main Street in Cambridge.

"Coming!" a voice shouted, albeit muffled, from inside.

I re-adjusted the bow in my hair just as the door swung open and I was greeted by a smiling Lucy. I returned the gesture to my boyfriend's little sister. She ushered me inside and I could hear the faint lyrics of a song drift into the living room they shared with their aunt, uncle, and cousin.

"Run, rabbit, run, rabbit, from the farmer's gun..." a man sang out and I smiled, recognizing it instantly.

Lucy turned to me,"Did you come here to see Edmund? He's up in his room,"

"Yeah, I did actually. Thanks, Lu." I smiled at her before sprinting up the stairs.

Taking the steps two at a time, I rounded the corner of the hallway. I could just see the back of Edmund's head, his dark hair ruffled.

"Ed!" I called, grinning as I leaned against the doorway.

He whipped around, smiling when he saw me. He crossed the room in two strides and grabbed my hand.

"You're here! I was waiting for you," he said with excitement clear in his chocolate orbs, pulling me to the middle of the room, "I wanted to show you something,"

I arched an eyebrow inquisitively up at the British boy before me.

"What is it?" I asked.

Edmund just smirked in response, stepping up to the rectangular ocean painting hanging above the mantle. Reaching up with long fingers, he removed it from the wall and held it out in front of him. He turned to me expectantly and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"What about it?" I questioned.

"It's Narnia! Can't you see it?" he asked me excitedly and I frowned.

"Ed, not this again. Look, we've been over this - Narnia is not real. It was cute when we were kids but it's just make believe," I told him softly but he shook his head indignantly.

"No, it's real! It's real, I promise! Just look at this painting! Lucy, Eustace, and I went through it yesterday," he insisted, showing it to me again.

I pushed it away gently and finally, he relented and set it back above the mantle glumly.

"If it's real then...then let me come, too. Let me see Narnia," I told him and slowly, he let out a sigh.

He turned his back to me then and I worried I'd hurt his feelings on the subject.

"I, um...Aslan said I couldn't go back. It was my last time there," he admitted and I could hear the hurt in his voice..

He was silent after that so I walked up behind him and wrapped my arms around his middle, pressing my cheek against his warm back. I could smell the lingering scent of ocean spray on him.

"Even if I don't believe in Narnia... I still believe in you, Edmund. Always," I promised him.

I could almost see the smile on his face as "Oh, Johnny, Oh, Johnny" by the Andrews Sisters drifted up through the floorboards, reminding us both of simpler times back at Professor Kirke's house when we'd played there as kids.

"I guess I can live with that." he told me softly.