Prince Charming x reader

I shouldn't have knocked him in the teeth as children, I shouldn't have thrown a rock at him when he left to become a prince, and I shouldn't have threatened to burn down his castle when he announced his engagement to Midas' daughter. But just because I shouldn't have done those things never stopped me from actually doing them. I'd always harbored a crush on him since knowing him as kids, growing up together on farms beside each other. But maybe that's why I wasn't the obvious choice for a bride. I was a little too poor to afford a nice wedding gown and I couldn't offer a dowry. All I had to offer was my love, two hands to work the land, and a nasty temper he'd already caught the brunt of on more than one occasion.

I smirked as all of those childhood memories came rushing back to me. A sigh left my lips as I fingered the ring he'd given me in friendship so long ago, the band still firmly around my finger. Gosh, I missed that farm-boy. The front door to David's house squeaked open then, breaking me from my reverie. His mother walked out to me, smiling as she carried a basket of food in her arms. When I saw it, I frowned.

"No, please, don't. I appreciate it but-" I started to protest but she cut me off.

"No, I insist!" she told me, trying to push the basket into my hands.

I bit my lip, shaking my head so hard that my dark braids flipped over my shoulder.

"I can't take your food-" I started again.

"-you're not. I'm giving it to you." she smiled warmly and finally, I relented.

Taking the basket from her waiting hands, I attached it to the strap I had on my saddle. The horse neighed from above me and I patted its neck soothingly.

"Good luck on your journey, child." she said softly, tears brimming in her eyes.

I gave one last hug to the woman who'd become so much of a mother to me before getting on my horse. Digging my heels into his sides gently, he began to walk off into the distance. We traveled for a couple more hours in the hot sun, my dark hair sticking to my neck with sweat. Suddenly, I noticed another horse approaching I squinted , trying to make out the rider. His face was in shadows but there were very visible Royal emblems on his clothes. I frowned, about to turn around.

A few months back in an attempt to get over David, I'd fell in with a group of pirates. In particular, one named Killian who'd became my lover for a time. It didn't last though. I got into too much trouble with the King because of it and my father forbade me from seeing him again. I smirked, remembering that brief time. But my, it was fun.

As I began to turn around, the rider called out to me. I stopped suddenly and glanced his way. He trotted closer and I caught a glimpse of his face. David. What was he doing here? Didn't he have a wedding to get to?

He jumped down from his horse then and ran to me. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, ignoring the ache in my chest at being this close to him once again.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him, keeping my voice steady as he came closer.

"I used to live here," he shrugged and I rolled my eyes.

Typical David. Changing the subject as usual. Slowly, I got down from my own horse and faced him.

"Your mother is still home if you hurry," I nodded my head towards the way I'd come.

"I didn't come back for her," he confessed and I tilted my head to the side, "Well, not entirely, at least,"

"Well, if not for her then who?" I asked sarcastically, looking away.

"You," he stated simply.

My head shot up, eyes meeting his sky-blue ones. I felt my breath hitch in my throat.

"What are you talking about?" I questioned him.

He took a step closer, "I didn't know what I wanted months ago other than a chance to get away from here. But when I did, there were things I surprised me that I missed,"

I cleared my throat, pushing my hair behind my ear.

"And what were those things?" I asked.

"Mostly inconsequential. Except for my mother, the mountains, my horse, and...you." David admitted softly.

Before I had the chance to react, his lips had crashed into mine. He was soft and gentle, hands cupping my cheeks. I smiled into it and for the first time in my life, I wasn't ashamed to be a farm-girl. Not if I had my farm-boy back.