Troy Bolton x reader [1] [Pt. 1]

Note: I was binging the HSM movies again and well, this kinda happened lol :P Enjoy!

I smiled as I gazed over at the sleeping figure next to me, ever so slowly reaching out a hand to gently brush back a strand of sandy-brown hair from his forehead.

He was so sweet to do this for me - he definitely didn't have to. He'd be in enough trouble already if his dad found out he'd been sneaking into a girl's bedroom, let alone sleeping in her bed. But ever since he'd found out I'd been having nightmares, he'd insisted.

But then again, that was Troy Bolton for you - always sweet, always chivalrous. It was why we'd become best friends in the first place. Much to the chagrin of my siblings, Sharpay and Ryan.

A sigh escaped my mouth then, a frown forming despite my best efforts as Troy's baby blue eyes fluttered open.

If only he knew how I really felt.

What he'd had with Gabriella had fizzled out months ago, the two remaining friends but I still hadn't told him how I felt. Sometimes...sometimes I worried he still had feelings for her.

Would he ever have them for me?

He blinked over at me sleepily and I grinned.

"Morning, sleepyhead. Thought you'd never wake up," I teased him as he slowly sat up in bed, leaning up against the headboard.

"Well, if I didn't, I'd only have you to blame," he joked, rolling his blue eyes.

A smile tugged at my lips as I watched him run a hand through his hair, attempting to fully wake up, "Can't have that on prom night,"

Troy's face fell and I knew I'd struck a nerve. The both of us had been more than a little sad these past days but tried not to show it. It was hard though - our very last days at East High. And afterward? The start of the rest of our lives. We'd been practically inseparable since the day we'd met years ago but now? Now what would happen to us?

We were both headed off to new colleges in the fall although I knew Troy hadn't decided yet where he'd be... Our lives would never be the same, that was certain. But what about our friendship? I couldn't imagine going a day without him in my life...I didn't want to.

"Hey, what's that frown?" he asked suddenly, shaking me out of my reverie as he arched an eyebrow, "Don't tell me you have cold feet. I thought you were excited for prom,"

I shrugged and made a face, scrunching up my nose which elicited a laugh from his plump, pink lips.

"I was...until Chad bailed on me," I admitted, Troy shooting me a surprised look, "Apparently, it's not that 'cool' to go to prom with your best girl friend. Especially not when Taylor McKenzie is still without a date."

He cracked a grin then and together we laughed, shaking our heads at Chad's antics. We fell into an awkward silence then and I chewed the inside of my cheek, half-expecting Troy to pipe up and tell me he'd asked Gabriella. But no, instead he stayed silent, making me that much more nervous. Maybe he'd decided not to tell me and would just show up at prom with her anyhow. Sure, she'd left to Stanford but I knew Troy - he'd go to any lengths for the people he cared about. A two-hour drive was nothing.

"So...who are you going with now then?" Troy asked me slowly, his tone hesitant.

I bit down on my lip, pulling the blanket up higher around my middle as if the thin cotton comforter would protect me emotionally. Glancing down, I began to pick at a loose string.

"No one, I suppose. Nobody asked so..." I shrugged then, not meeting his gaze. But still, I felt him watching me with those penetrating blue eyes.

I shook my head then as I lied, "It doesn't matter though. I'm going to be so busy helping out since I was on prom committee anyway,"

Glancing up from the mass of threads tangled around my fingers, I noticed Troy's expression - serious, pensive but otherwise totally unreadable. He looked almost...upset? No, that couldn't be right.

Pushing back the comforter, he swung his legs over the side and stretched. I tried very hard not to let my eyes wander down to the sliver of skin peeking through where his shirt rode up as he did. Okay, fine...maybe I looked a little. But what girl could resist? He began to pull on his shoes then and I frowned.

"Where are you going so early? Aren't you going to stay so I can sneak you some breakfast?" I joked, pushing back a strand of hair from my face.

"Nah, I gotta go, uh...uh...pick up something for my mom cause she...needed it. I'll talk to you later." he stumbled over his words and I arched an eyebrow, leaning back on my pillow as he then bid me goodbye, promptly leaving afterward.

Okay, well, that was pretty odd. Didn't Troy's mom usually take care of things herself? I shook the thought a way though as I readied for the day. 

Prom would come sooner than I thought it would.