David Gordon 'Gordo' x reader

Smiling to myself, I watched as Gordo laughed - the sound melodious, like music to my ears. Dark brown, mahogany-colored curls fell in his eyes and I grinned as he pushed them back in frustration.

The feelings I'd developed for Gordo weren't immediate - in fact, it was slow. Like waves crushing ashore. In fact, that it's how it felt too - like a tidal wave just hitting you out of nowhere. But it was beautiful and pure. And right.

Well...it would have been. If it hadn't been for his crush on Lizzie. It's not that I minded totally - Lizzie was also my best friend and I loved her like a sister. It's why I never would open my mouth and say something about it, the reason I'd never confessed to her or Miranda. I knew they deserved to know, we'd never kept secrets from the other before now.

But still - I couldn't do that to myself, to have to face the inevitable rejection that I knew would happen. The days turned into weeks though, weeks into months and now - now it had been years that I'd felt this way, never saying a word, always keeping my mouth shut. And I regretted it bitterly. Because as time spun on, we only got older and soon, the lazy days of hanging out at Lizzie's house, late-night "conference calls" would be over and we'd all be moving on to different colleges.

More and more lately, I got the feeling like it was now or never. I guess that's what brought me up here tonight on this rooftop, gazing out across the beautiful skyline of Italy. It had been one incredible week, one that left me reeling. Lizzie had become a psuedo-popstar overnight when she impersonated the famed Italian singer around here, Isabella. Meanwhile, Gordo and I had covered up for her with Miss Ungermeyer. It had been an...interesting week to say the least.

But still, none of that mattered. I had tried all week to tell Gordo how I feel, all the while watching him chase after Lizzie who clearly didn't return his feelings. It was frustrating, so much so that I'd given up and come to hide up here. It was better at least then watching him fawn over my other best friend while she had her time in the limelight before we went home tomorrow.

It was quiet up here and I could think clearer, gather my bearings. Maybe up here I could finally make a decision. But let's face it: it had been made for me long ago. Gordo was not mine. He never would be - a part of him would always be in love with her...much the same as I would be with him. Tears sprung to my eyes then and I could feel my chest tighten with the pain and anxiety that that thought caused.

How could I do this? How could I let him go? Maybe...maybe it would all get easier in a few weeks - once school was officially over and I wouldn't have to be around him anymore. Maybe that was the best way...

Lost in my own thoughts, I didn't notice the creak of the door to the rooftop open nor the sound of footsteps behind me. Not until a voice cleared and spinning around in surprise, my eyes met the familiar ice-blue orbs of my best friend.

I shot him a wobbly smile, "Hey, Gordo."

He returned the greeting, joining me as I leaned back onto the railing. I forced myself not to look over at him, focusing my gaze solely on the view ahead. Easier said than done though as a light breeze blew back the curls from his face, making me have to force myself not to reach out to him.

"So why did you leave down there? Lizzie was asking for you - sent me to come see if you were alright," he said suddenly, eliciting an eye-roll from yours truly.

It was a bit of a sucker-punch really to hear the reason behind his coming - especially since I thought it was out of genuine concern for me. But then again, was it all that surprising?

"Yeah, I'm fine," I lied, faking a smile his direction so he would buy it, "Just needed some fresh air from all of that paparazzi down there,"

He nodded in response and I breathed a silent sigh of relief. Good, he bought it...or I thought he did. Until the next words left his lips.

"Did you really expect me to believe that? I've known you 10 years and I know when you're hurting. I just don't know why,"

I shook my head, unrelenting, "Just let it go, Gordo. It doesn't matter anyway,"

"Yes, it does. Otherwise you wouldn't be out here all alone on a rooftop. You would be down there with your two best friends, living it up on our last night in Europe. And you know it,"

A sigh whistled past my lips. The boy could read me like an open book - I'd always hated that. But the words he spoke were true - any other day I would be right by their side. But tonight? This...this was harder.

"Are you...are you jealous of Liz-" he began but I cut off that thought immediately.

"No!" I told him sharply before softening my voice, "I could never be jealous of Lizzie. In fact, I'm happy for her - she did so good with Isabella tonight. She deserves all of that in there, she really does,"

His blue eyes connected to mine, seeing into my soul as always, "Then what? What's really bothering you?"

"I-" I started and stopped myself, getting caught up in the pools of blue that were so near me, suddenly realizing how close we truly were.

I could feel his breath fan my face as he asked softly, "What?"

I did the unthinkable then - something I'd daydreamed about at least a thousand times in my mind. But never in my wildest dreams had I thought that one day I'd make it a reality. Leaning over closer, I collided my lips into Gordo's. Our eyes fluttered shut instantly - or mine did, anyway and just like that, I was...I was kissing my best friend. I was kissing Gordo, the boy I'd known since we were in kindergarten.

And suddenly, I felt the returning pressure of his lips and our mouths moved in sync, over and over again. I felt like I could fly in that moment - the fact we were in Rome didn't even matter. All that did was that he was kissing me back.

But as I broke away a few seconds later, his eyes opened and his mouth formed an 'O' of shock. Fear gripped me then. Was it too much? Too soon?

"Was that...too forward?" I asked hesitantly, scared of what he'd say.

But the boy with all the answers since childhood said nothing, his mouth moving but nothing coming out. I'd left Gordo speechless and...wait, blushing?! A smile lit up my face then.

He said nothing but...he didn't have to.

One kiss had left him speechless.

And that was enough.